Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you kasher a kitchen in your new house, IF....

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 7:08 pm
Frum people owned it before you?

Would you kasher everything? Ovens have already been self-cleaned, but what about the sinks?

What if they were more modern than you? But still kept kosher?

shnitzel

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 7:15 pm
I would regardless of frumkeit level. Unless it was the rav of my shul and even then I probably would just in case. How many imamothers have posted their husbands are secretly not frum or that they themselves cheat a bit here or there. You never know.

morah

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 7:32 pm
Also, if there are 2 ovens/sinks, you should kasher them b/c you don't know which was which.

ElTam

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 7:57 pm
I would ask my rav.

CatLady

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 8:03 pm
I'd clean the toilet even if it "looked clean", so I'd do everything anyway, if only as a turf-marking. LOL!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 8:38 pm
I have moved twice since I got married- to my apartment, and to my current house.
the first time, I got all new appliances, so there was no need to kasher anything. my hsband might have done the sinks, I dont remember. in my house, I brought my appliances with me, so again no kashering necessary. I dont think we did the sinks though....im not sure why or why not. when/if we move again, I will still have my own appliances, so it would really just be the sink(s) again.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 01 2011, 9:33 pm
We have had that before, and we were not to.

Teva26

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 3:43 pm
I would kasher everything mostly because my home wouldnt really feel "mine" otherwise. It would feel like I was living as a guest.

Better safe than sorry.

I am moving next week into a "frum" home and just when we went to look at the place my DH already found an upside down mezuza. The woman of the house kept going on about how she cleaned everything and I dont need to do a thing etc etc but everyone has their own "standards". Maybe this old family kept kosher on much less of a standard?

Starting off clean is the best start Smile

All the best on your new home!

MamaBear

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 10:03 pm
Were there any contractors or workers in the home fixing stuff up before you got there? They could have used the kitchen, though unlikely.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 1:39 am
I would not. We just moved into a house that was rented before us by frum jews and we did not kasher anything. I never even thought to do that.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 3:58 am
We didn't. I know the previous owner very well, plus she has even kisay which according to our rav is not kasherable. I could have kashered the stainless sinks, but I knew which she used for which and where the line between was. We brought our own oven so that wasn't an issue.

The people who bought our house kashered, but we had real marble, and they are basically vegetarians so they switched and used my big meaty & parve area for dairy and the small milk corner for meat (the and the wife eat meat in the house sometimes so now they have space for actual meat dishes and a meat sink).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen