Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Maternity Sister of Bride Wedding Gown

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 10:08 am
My SIL is getting married in December and I am going to be 8 months pregnant Surprised I obviously need to find something to wear but feel silly buying an expensive gown for maternity, since who will ever wear it again? I don't have much latitude since I am apparently going to be walking down the aisle and thus must look nice AND have to be in the color scheme which is silver or purple.

Any ideas/help?

September June

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 11:06 am
Someone I know was 9 months pregnant at her sister's wedding. She normally wears a size 2, she bought a size 12 gown from a gemach clearing out old stock, altered it for I think $20 and wore it to the wedding. (She also wore it to another family wedding when she was 7 months pregnant so she got her money's worth).

Before she found that gown, she was going to borrow a dress fron a maternity gemach. I think it would have cost $50 in the end.

If you want to go the shell route you can find a loose dress in one of the local stores and wear that in a bigger size.

If you're looking for a maternity dress, I don't think you'l have too much of a selection.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 11:15 am
http://www.tjformal.com/48752/.....ef=cj

Maybe you can dye a shell to match this.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 11:20 am
http://www.best-cheap-wedding-.....ath=7

This bridesmaid dress comes in maternity and lots of colors maybe if you get a matching shell it could work.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 11:32 am
I find that dresses that are labelled "wedding" are much more expensive. I say just get a nice dress in a regular place!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 12:17 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I find that dresses that are labelled "wedding" are much more expensive. I say just get a nice dress in a regular place!

I am totally open to this, but need to find something that will fit me! I'm pretty small so it might work to just get a few sizes bigger and alter.

I am hoping to avoid something with a shell under as I feel it is not nice enough to walk down the aisle in, but it looks like options are otherwise slim.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 12:20 pm
I hope you find a gown with a tznius enough top without a shell! It is very hard here to find one that isn't also very elderly looking Sad
Maybe ask around if a shell is "done" in the circles you will be (here I know of kallas who had a shell/long sleeve top under!).

Chanie

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 1:56 pm
I have a wedding coming up in 2 weeks, and I'll be 8 months then. I searched like crazy for a gown that was flattering. I ended up finding an empire-waisted gown that wasn't maternity, that looked fabulous on. I took it to a seamstress to see what it cost to add top/sleeves and it wasn't cheap to fix. Came out almost the same price to make it from scratch. I hope the dress comes out. By the way, it's a purple gown.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 2:35 pm
Chanie wrote:
I have a wedding coming up in 2 weeks, and I'll be 8 months then. I searched like crazy for a gown that was flattering. I ended up finding an empire-waisted gown that wasn't maternity, that looked fabulous on. I took it to a seamstress to see what it cost to add top/sleeves and it wasn't cheap to fix. Came out almost the same price to make it from scratch. I hope the dress comes out. By the way, it's a purple gown.

Where did you manage to find it?

Chanie

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 7:44 pm
I went to stores that sold regular bridesmaid dresses and looked specifically for empire waisted dresses (since I hated the way every maternity gown I tried on, looked on me) I took a picture of me wearing it, along with the model #, and armed with that I contacted seamstresses for prices.
As I said, it came out almost the same price to make it from scratch....
It's actually very plain, but looked very flattering on.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/js.....67034

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 7:55 pm
JAW - shells are actually very in now. Even for sisters/SIL's of the bride/groom. If you get it dyed to match you can barely tell. Me, my sister and my SIL all got (different) dresses at Nordstrom (silver) for my recent sister's wedding and we all wore shells and it was fine (we didn't walk down though).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics