Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
FrumVacations.com makes it easy to plan your next vacation

Yael

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:12 pm
We are writing to tell you about a new, exciting and extremely useful website that is designed to cater to the frum Jewish Orthodox family.

www.FrumVacations.com

We provide “one-stop shopping” - where you could search for a vacation destination and obtain all the information you need to plan a family vacation.

The website is clear and easy to navigate. Based on a chosen destination, it provides information on where to stay, what to do, where to buy kosher food, where there are minyaim/shuls nearby, and where the nearest mikvah is to that location.

With a mere click on www.Frumvacations.com , a frum family could immediately receive all the contact information they would need to book a family vacation as well as plan all the recreational activities their family would enjoy while vacationing.

www.Frumvacations.com is also very useful in helping a family plan a “daytrip” near your home!

We hope you find the website useful and look forward to adding more destinations.....

www.FrumVacations.com:

All the information you need to have a fun, “frum” vacation on one convenient site!

Accommodations - Where to stay?

Attractions - Places to visit? Things to do....

Mikvah - Locations/Contact Information

Shuls/Minyanim - Locations & Times

Food - Where to buy kosher food? Restaurants?

Check out our ad up on top!

Paid Ad

runninglate

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:22 pm
wow! This sounds amazing!

leomom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 3:07 am
Do you mind a little feedback?

First of all, I found two misspellings: accommodations (two m's) and minyamin instead of minyanim. There may be others but those caught my eye on a quick look.

I know it's a new site and doesn't have much yet, but so far all of the info can be easily found on other similar sites such as Kashrut.com, Shamash.org, etc. And those have been built up over many years and have extensive, well-maintained databases.

I think where your site can set itself apart would be to include thoughtful write-ups and reviews of the attractions and accommodations at each destination, focusing on what makes them appropriate (or not) for frum families and with tips to make the trip successful. (For example, is there anything kosher in the vending machines at _____, or should people beware that the dolphin show at ______ features a very not-tznius lady dancing, or whatever. I'm just making these things up - but you get the idea!)

It would be most useful if there were well-researched write-ups, plus forms for readers to add their own tips and reviews. Readers could also review the local restaurants and mikvahs, etc.

Especially with the accommodations, you need to be specific about what makes them appropriate for frum families. Kosher food? Close to shuls? Very private/tznius room layout? Or are they just near the attractions, but not specifically accommodating for frum people?

This kind of "insider" information would make the site much more useful than just a list of addresses and phone numbers. (And by the way, you need to include websites for everything you list!)

I hope this is helpful feedback!

Last edited by leomom on Sun, Aug 07 2011, 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

groisamomma

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 3:16 am
Excellent feedback, yy! I also found the website to be a bit naked, but I'm sure this is just what it looks like in the beginning stages. I'm sure as they expand, they'll realize that the Catskills includes places other than just Monticello and Liberty Very Happy

leomom

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 3:23 am
If they are planning on adding more substantive info (even now based on my suggestion), they should have an "About Us" page that tells about their vision for the site as it expands. Because right now, it just looks like an advertising vehicle. It does have the potential to be much more, but it will take a lot more effort than just taking ads.

mominlkwd

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 11:15 am
I agree with YY. I am always looking for different fun places to go on vacation to and it's super hard when you consider food, davening with a minyan etc. I clicked on the link right away and felt the same as the above posters, there wasn't really anything different than you've seen on other sites. I thought it would help me find a home with a pool in orlando for example not just list the hotels and info on the orlando chabad site.

I think it's a great idea but it needs tweeking. Reviews as someone said would be great, as would searching by category - ie hotel, private home etc. and it's not so pretty to look at - wouldn't "stick out" in my mind to go back if I needed that info again.

Good Luck - I hope I wasn't too harsh.

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 1:30 am
I just checked out our area there. The shul # is incorrect. They gave the rabbis study number instead. They also missed lots of attractions.

And the food was misleading. It says the bakery-pizza. Makes it sound not parve. But the breads and cakes are all parve.

Tal

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 10:57 pm
Just checked out the site.

1 - There is an "about us" on the bottom of the page. you have to scroll down. (not practical).

2 - I clicked on Niagra Falls and have a few comments. (not criticizing just asking). Is this a Chabad site? The only Minyanim listed in Buffalo are Chabad. There is a beautiful orthodox shul on Maple Avenue with daily minyanim. (they run the mikva). (Shul has guides to attractions and coupons, they also ask if anyone has unused tickets and they offer them free of charge to people who might use them). They are also orgenized to host people for Shabbos who might have a problem because of hotel electronic doors, but read my next comment.

3 - Across the street from the shul is a Marriott Residence inn. It has a full kitchen including a self clean oven. It is great! I also found behind the heavy curtains a double glass door. We had a back unit facing the woods, left the glass door unlocked (curtain closed) and had no Shabbos problem!

4 - There is a women in Buffallo who cooks for Shabbos. you have to order by Wed. It was delicious. Don't remember the details but she has a good hasgacha. If you want I can re-find her.

This is just 1 example.

It is a good idea for a site but needs a lot more work. Maybe ask the public for help or find local people in these places to help out with information.

Good Luck!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 6:03 pm
To be honest, most of the information can be garnered either through chabad, or local shuls, or imamother. Also very little value for information outside of N.America. The hardest bit is keeping the information accurate and up to date (one serious gripe I have about shamash.com). Agree it would be nice to have a few more description instead of just numbers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics