Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
PLEASE Help me!!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 1:31 pm
I feel so stuck! I have never weighed so much before in my entire life! I havea family history of obesity, but B"H, I never had a real issue growing up. Sure, there were times in my childhood when I was chubby, but I didn't have to focus any effort into losign the weight - it just happened naturally with the next growth spurt. But now, b"H, after a few preganancies close together...I weigh 215 pounds - I was 135 when I got married!!! I am so desperate to lose, but I don't know how. I started South Beach a while ago and have been on Phase One for almost a month and have only lost 5 pounds. I am eating all the right things, staying away from the a lot of "good" fats (very little nuts and cheese). I haven't been exercising much be/c I work fulltime and am BOMBED by the time I get home and put my kids to bed. I have been trying to make an effort to wake up early to go walkign, but with the little sleep that I get altogther, it has been very difficult.

Please, can someone tell me where I am going wrong? Am I eating too much? What are the normal serving size portions for someone who is 5.2" and now, 210 pounds? I am always on the go, running around and on my feet and I really do get very hungry in between meals. So I'll have some salad, grilled veggies, beans, etc.

I really need help and I don't even know if I am asking the right questions. All I know is that I REALLY want to lose weight. I don't expect to become a Skinny Minny over night, but I would like to lose weight a relatively normal, healthy, and steady weight so that I can stay motivated.

Anyone? Thank you!

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 2:17 pm
When I went to a nutritionist, she told me that I should fill up a 9" plate for every meal, 1/2 veggies, 1/4 starch, and 1/4 protein. Put a salmon fillet on a plate, and you'll see that that 1/4 only covers about a half a piece. I don't portion, I basically use this method and it works. I should say that I don't always have a plate handy, like when I'm at work, but I mentally plate portion.

She also told me I should not be eating any nuts at all because even though they're extremely healthy, they should be used as an addition to a maintenance diet and not when you're trying to lose weight.

Furthermore, I was told to ONLY snack on fruits and veggies. Beans are good, but I guess the calories can add up as well. And they're starchy.

I don't know enough about sbd to help you further. Do you like the diet? Would you consider something else? There are other diets out there that would help you more with portions, like weight watchers, so you know exactly how much you can eat in a day.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 3:55 pm
Ok, I have no prob cutting out nuts - I rarely have them to begin with. I really do like South Beach b/c it's not so rigid and strict. I was under the impression that you could eat as much protein as you want until you are full - in fact, you are suppoesd to fill up on protein and veggies (starches later on). Is there something wrong with having too much protein? How do I find out about calories? How do I know if I am having too much beans? I sound clueless!!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 4:13 pm
You might prefer Weight watchers. It's guaranteed to work. Andsome health insurances pay for it.

Faigy86

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 4:16 pm
Have you read the book? It sounds like your not 100% sure what you should and shouldn't be doing. That's often the first place to see if you've gotten everything right.
Hatzlacha

amother

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 2:34 am
I don't think I would enjoy doing Weight Watchers b/c I am horrible and clueless at counting calories, points, etc. I wouldn't even know how to start.

Faigy, I did read the book at length - a few times. I keep searching it for the information that I seem to be missing, but it's just not there. The book basically explains what each phase of the diet does for your body and which foods you need to refrain from and which you are allowed during each phase. But it doesn't say amounts (aside from nuts). It doesn't have limits. I guess I'm confused. I would love to takl to a dietician or nutritionist, but no way in the world will my insurance pay for that and I can not afford to pay out of pocket.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 2:55 am
Amother, I believe Phase 1 was only supposed to be for 2 weeks before moving on to phase 2.

See the website below. When I was on South Beach that site was a tremendous resource for me.

http://www.southbeach-diet-pla.....x.php

lilacdreams

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 2:58 am
I would also ask the doc to run some blood tests just to make sure that the weight gain and tiredness isnt from thyroid issues.
behatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 4:46 am
Mrs.K wrote:
Amother, I believe Phase 1 was only supposed to be for 2 weeks before moving on to phase 2.

See the website below. When I was on South Beach that site was a tremendous resource for me.

http://www.southbeach-diet-pla.....x.php

Thanks Mrs.K. I have checked out this site and it really is quite helpful. Phase one is officially for 2 weeks, but Dr. Agaston says you can go on for another week or 2 if you are strong willed enough.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 4:47 am
lilacdreams wrote:
I would also ask the doc to run some blood tests just to make sure that the weight gain and tiredness isnt from thyroid issues.
behatzlacha!

B"H, everything else is normal, no thyroid issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise