Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is this a normal name for the birth cert?
Previous  1  2

chaylizi

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Sam is not quite a full name, in English. It is only the nickname of Samuel.

Sam is a perfectly acceptable given name and it doesn't have to be short for Samuel, Some people are officially named things like Candy, not short for Candace, or Cathy, not short for Catherine. Parents are allowed to put just about anything they like on the birth cert. Even Apple, Moon Unit and Dweezil. So for sure even Sam. I know a man whose official name on his birth certificate is Sammy. I learned this after introducing him at a formal meeting as "Samuel X" and he told me his official name is Sammy. Not Samuel and not Sami; Sammy. What

Parents are allowed to put anything they like on the birth certificate in the US. That is not the case in many other countries, where a name needs to be from an approved list.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 1:09 pm
I totally understand your concern. I'm that way too. But I figure, hey, if people can name their kids "Pilot Inspektor", "Banjo" or "Apple", surely "Shimshon" isn't so strange...

chavs

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 1:34 pm
Why cant you put their hebrew name on the birth certificate? My kids are Chana Eidel and Menachem Mendel (if you didnt know who I was before you do now-hello), and thats whats in their papers because those are their names. My name is Chava but my birth certificate says Eva and its annoying having two different names when I only go by Chava (with the exception of my mother and sister) especially when its by people who I see on a regular basis such as a doctor. Its so much easier having just one name.
By the way my last name is a normal english name but I have to spell it out and repeat it every time I tell someone so that can happen even with a standard name.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names