Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
How long do you leave chicken soup on for?

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:14 pm
I'am just about to go to bed and have some chicken soup on. It's on a very low heat, it's been on for around an hour and a half. Would you leave it on for the night or turn it off? I know some people that would leave it on but would you advice it? Thanks in advance.

Esther01

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:20 pm
will you be getting up for a baby or someone? and how long is your night for?
in other words, if you think you can shut it in about 4-5 hours (and it's on the lowest flame) then I would think it's ok.

I used to put up chicken thursday night right before going to bed then I would make an alarm clock for 5 or 6 am (depending on when I put it up) and it always worked for me.

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:23 pm
No, my night is untill 7:30 in the morning it is 12:23 now.

Esther01

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:29 pm
then I would put it into the fridge and continue cooking it tomorrow morning. unless you want to make an alarm clock to ring in about 2-3 hours.

(I let my chicken soup cook for at least 4 hours...)

rainbow baby

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:32 pm
I definately do not fancy an alarm call in 2 to 3 hours, thanks for you advice and Good Night.

timeout

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:40 pm
my chicken soup goes for hours like 6 my DH loves it turning the rich brown color Smile

cindy324

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 7:50 pm
I've cooked chicken soup on low flame as long as 8 hours. I never cook it less than 6.

ChavieK

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 8:32 pm
I always put up the soup at night. Dh works until about 2 usualy on thurs. sohe turns it off when he gets home. That will usualy be between 6 & 8 hours. Then in the morning I put it in the fridge so I can skim it later. Every once in while dh forgets then the soup cooks until about 7 am. It's always fine, just don't get to skim it as well.

youngmom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 8:33 pm
wow! I've never heard of cooking soup so long. I do my soup for 2 hrs.

mumsy23

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 8:50 pm
I cook my soup for an hour and I always get rave reviews!

withhumor

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 9:53 pm
If I leave it on for too long, my kids call it chulent.

chums

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 10:05 pm
I put mine up about 8-9pm and it get turned off about 6-7-8am depending on when everyone gets up.

Boys"R"Us

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 11:34 pm
chums wrote:
I put mine up about 8-9pm and it get turned off about 6-7-8am depending on when everyone gets up.

Me too! Thumbs Up

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 11:44 pm
I can't believe what I am reading here! What happens to the actual chicken when it cooks for so long? Is there anything edible left in the pot? Doesn't it resemble pieces of thinned out washcloths? I never heard of cooking chicken soup for so long. 1 - 2 hours at most is what I'm familiar with.

I would love to poll how long people cook their Shabbos fish. Let's hear it - an offshoot to this thread - Imas, for how long do you cook your Shabbos fish?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 12:19 am
I sometimes cook my soup for about 4 hours. low simmered chicken soup is absolutely delicious.

Fish? about 1 3/4 hours total - 1/2 hour the gefilte, another 1 1/4 with the slices. Withsalmon it's less.

Secbeb

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 12:42 am
Quote:
What happens to the actual chicken when it cooks for so long? Is there anything edible left in the pot?

When the chicken bones, muscles and skin are heating in the soup, they release collegen and gelatin which gives a lot of flavor to the soup. The longer they cook, the more they release. So when a soup filled with chicken bones cooks over a couple hours (not at boiling but at a simmer) becomes cold, the stock will be very jelly-like from all the collegen and gelatin. Thus, it can also be used as a thickener for sauces and gravies as well. .

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 10:37 am
Secbeb wrote:
Quote:
What happens to the actual chicken when it cooks for so long? Is there anything edible left in the pot?

When the chicken bones, muscles and skin are heating in the soup, they release collegen and gelatin which gives a lot of flavor to the soup. The longer they cook, the more they release. So when a soup filled with chicken bones cooks over a couple hours (not at boiling but at a simmer) becomes cold, the stock will be very jelly-like from all the collegen and gelatin. Thus, it can also be used as a thickener for sauces and gravies as well. .

I wasn't referring to the bones and skins; I was referring to the actual chicken - either tops or bottoms or whatever else it is that people eat from the chicken. Doesn't it disintegrate from all this cooking and simmering?

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 11:04 am
withhumor wrote:
If I leave it on for too long, my kids call it chulent.

LOL LOL

I cook my soup for tops 2-3 hours I like it golden yellow.
I would put hte soup in the fridge and when I warm it for shabbos let it cook longer

cindy324

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 11:57 am
Quote:
I wasn't referring to the bones and skins; I was referring to the actual chicken - either tops or bottoms or whatever else it is that people eat from the chicken. Doesn't it disintegrate from all this cooking and simmering?

Nope. Like I said I cook my soup for 6-8 hrs and I use chicken bottoms, and it has never disintegrated. It stays in one piece just like the way I put it in! Long slow cooking makes a DELICIOUS soup!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics