Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Halachos of cooking on yom tov . . .

Mommy F.

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 6:36 pm
I am just wondering what people do on these three day yom tovs . . .
Is there a way to make cholent for Shabbos.

Do you make it in advance and then freeze and reheat it,
can you make it on high in the crock pot Friday morning and then lower the crock pot temperature before shabbos?

I never made a three day yom tov before . . .

What about heating up soup on the second night of yom tov?
Do you leave your stove top on all three days of yom tov?

Let me know if there are good websites or books I can learn all the laws from.
TIA

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 7:20 pm
Step one, you must make an eruv tavshilin, otherwise you cannot cook on Friday for shabbat.

You cannot adjust the crockpot on YT, You can leave it on low and start it with hot water. it will come out fine, just start it first thing in the morning.

I leave the crock pot on for yom tov and use it to cook potatoes, or other things for the day meals, then rinse out and fill with water. Just so the base should not be on for hours doing nothing.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 27 2011, 8:57 am
I am loathe to make something like cholent which is going to take up room in the fridge PLUS only be used for one meal. And no one will want leftover cholent after yomtov, that's for sure.

Anyway, it's possible we'll eat in shul that day, so I'm not inviting guests or eating out; we'll eat at home, and whatever is "left" from the yomtov meals.

A plata is the easiest thing to use to heat up food for Shabbos and yomtov. In America, the large size is about $50 and is very handy.

You can make the cholent before yomtov, use it for the eiruv tavshilim, and then freeze it if you don't have enough fridge space. I wouldn't put potatoes in it, though - limit it to meat or chicken, barley or farfel, kishke, potato kugel, and beans/chickpeas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics