Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Using deodorant on Yom Kippur?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 8:39 pm
I heard that you're not supposed to, recently. Does anyone actually follow it? Is it really not allowed-on the basis of what? If you don't use spray deodorant how do you go to shul and stay among people? I would be embarrassed not to because I sweat a lot.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 8:42 pm
24 hour deodorant

ElTam

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 8:45 pm
I just put it on the night before and I'm fine.

September June

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 8:53 pm
Generously spray the "underarm" of your shirts BEFORE YOM KIPPUR.

Last edited by September June on Thu, Oct 06 2011, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

observer

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 8:56 pm
September June- that's actually a halachic issue on Shabbos/YK, unless you're doing it before shabbos.

Pandabeer

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 9:24 pm
why not? you're not allowed to spray on clothing but on the body itself, or use roll-on I don't think there's a problem.

And it's also different that Tisha b'av, even if you have most the same it's not an aveilus. (that was my first reaction when I read the title that OP meant about inniyim)

smoms

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 9:38 pm
Use Certain Dri. It 's meant to be used every other night. It really works! Most pharmacies stock it.

http://www.amazon.com/Certain-.....r=8-2

September June

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 9:42 pm
observer wrote:
September June- that's actually a halachic issue on Shabbos/YK, unless you're doing it before shabbos.

I do it before. Part of Yom Kippur preparations. Sorry, I forgot to mention that part.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 10:02 pm
Pandabeer wrote:
why not? you're not allowed to spray on clothing but on the body itself, or use roll-on I don't think there's a problem.

And it's also different that Tisha b'av, even if you have most the same it's not an aveilus. (that was my first reaction when I read the title that OP meant about inniyim)

Roll on deodrant cannot be used on shabbos (I cant remember the exact reason I will try find out) so therefore also not on yk or 9av.

You can use unscented deo spray or get a 48hr one and spray liberally before the fast starts.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 11:09 pm
I can't believe you don't use spray deodorant on shabbos and yk. I know shabbos you definitely can, but yk? (what's the source?) It's all very good for people who don't sweat a lot, but for people who sweat a lot-- there's no choice.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 07 2011, 9:23 am
To clarify....

1) STICK deodorant cannot be used on Shabbos -- smearing.
2) ROLL ON can, but on Yom Kippur it's considered annointing which is one of the issurim.
On Tisha B'av, you can use stick, but not roll on.
On Yom Kippur (the halacha as I learned it), you may not use either.

SPRAY deodorant is a machlokes as it's not a melacha and not one of the inuyim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions