Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Israeli Names, Part 2

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:10 am
What do mainstream Israeli Charadi families think of the following names:

Nachshon
S'muel
Nechamia
Tzvi
Pinchas
Yeshyahu

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:15 am
amother wrote:

Nachshon

Not used by chareidim, which IMO is a shame - it's beautiful and the name of a tzaddik.

Quote:
S'muel
Do you mean Shmuel? Beautiful, and used but not too common.

Quote:

Nechamia
I don't think I know any children called Nechemia. So maybe it's not in fashion. But also a beautiful name.

Quote:
Tzvi
I just know our rov said this shouldn't be used as a single name, without another name. Don't know why.

Quote:
Pinchas
I love it. Also in the not too common, but used, category.

Quote:
Yeshyahu
I think I once heard it's better not to use this name because of all the tzoros Yeshayahu had, but I don't have a reliable source.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:20 am
How about

Daniel
Yeshya
Tuvia

hadasa

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:21 am
If you're talking about a child fitting into Chareidi society, maybe you should take into account that most Chareidim name their kids after relatives or more recent Tzaddikim. I wasn't named after anyone in particular, and always felt uncomfortable when asked "Who are you named after ?"

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:22 am
I have a nephew Yeshayahu and know 2 Nechemias (both had brisses on 9 Av).

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:29 am
Marion wrote:

I love the name Nechamia. I actually thought about it had Rivka been a boy (she was due in the 3 weeks). All my kids are either named after someone or in honor of someone, but sometimes it doesn't work out for whatever reason. IMO using a name from Tanach is naming after someone, even if it's the original holder of the name. We were told because our relatives are not from dh should have kavana that Rivka was also named for Rivka Imanu, etc. Actually when they learned the Pesach song in gan Rivka came home telling me she was one of the Imahot because her gannenent said so Very Happy So we talked about how each of the kids were named and told them the special people they were named for.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:29 am
Marion wrote:

I love the name Nechamia. I actually thought about it had Rivka been a boy (she was due in the 3 weeks). All my kids are either named after someone or in honor of someone, but sometimes it doesn't work out for whatever reason. IMO using a name from Tanach is naming after someone, even if it's the original holder of the name. We were told because our relatives are not from dh should have kavana that Rivka was also named for Rivka Imanu, etc. Actually when they learned the Pesach song in gan Rivka came home telling me she was one of the Imahot because her gannenent said so Very Happy So we talked about how each of the kids were named and told them the special people they were named for.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 4:58 am
Nachshon is not common at all among Chareidim - you could use it, it would be accepted but you should know it would e very unique.
Shalhevet I like that name too, it's my brother's name Wink
Shmuel - just like any other name it's very widely accepted pretty common but not banal. You can also call the kid Shmulik or Shmueli or Shmul depends on your chevra.
Nechamya, not so common, but perfectly fine to use. Less unorthodox than Nachshon IMO.
Tzvi, I love the name, I think it sounds better with a second name for some reason (maybe because it's short) you could also call the kid Tvika.
Pinchas - it's out there, not every other kid, but he wouldn't stand out by far. I don't like the name though, to me it is very rigid and makes me think of someone very strict and stringent.
Yishayahu - less common than the other names (besides Nachshon) I know there are and have been many great rabbanim named Yishayahu, but it's not that much in style today.
Daniel - is not all that common for Chareidim and would be considerd more a secular name (though, not that popular anymore in the past decade).
Yeshaya - is just a derivative of Yishayahu - you could go with that if you like, but it would not be that common - it would also not raise too many eyebrows.
Tuvya - great name - also not banal but there are enough kids out there by this name that it would just be considered a normal name. Beside, I like the meaning, the sound, and the fact that it is one of Moshe's names.
I'd choose either Shmuel or Tuvya.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 8:04 am
bump

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 8:07 am
amother wrote:

Nachshon
S'muel
Nechamia
Tzvi
Pinchas
Yeshyahu

They are all good, Jewish not new-fashioned tanachi names.
NachSHON
ShmuEL
NechemYA
Tzvi (always popular with everyone dati)
PinCHAS (not so common in DL)
Yeshayahu (not so common in DL)

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 7:05 pm
Israeli Names That DO NOT Work well in America:

Osnat.... Oh Snot!
Moran....MORON!
Dror...... Drawer
Elon.......Alone
Ofek...... Oh F**k

(in our school we have TWO Ofek's one boy and one girl... apparently it is used for both male and female...OY!)

I had a student once named... Pooya! UGH! That poor, poor child...

louche

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 8:53 pm
How about that Sports illustrated swimsuit model, Bar something or other? I don't even like it in Ivrit, but in the US...uh-uh. sounds like she was born in a saloon. If they're nice they'll think it's short for barbara.

what they should do is add an "e" to her name...that. at least. would be accurate! (Meeeoooowwww.)

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:32 pm
wow, all of the names in the original post, except for nachshon, are totally totally common in the US.

maofboys

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 9:13 pm
I am with you mamabear, I know people with all of these names and I am shocked to hear that they are not used often. its true you won't get 5 of them in a class like you might get if you use the name aharon or moshe but why do you want a name so common that kids won't know who you are calling. names come and go. my son has 3 shua's in his class and I don't know any my age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names