Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Just realized that I forgot to take challah... oy!

amother

Post Sat, Oct 15 2011, 11:13 pm
I think I forgot to take challah, the thought just popped into my head as I was cleaning up from the last yomtif meal.
I've fed over 50 people with challah that wasn't taken... omg I'm freaking out. How bad is it?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 15 2011, 11:14 pm
same amother - just a note: there is no challah left so I can't separate now.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 12:40 am
You did take it. You have been so busy you don't remember doing it. It is something you have done so often that you didn't register it, in all the bustle.

People stay themselves. What they always do, they keep doing. You did it.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 1:11 am
oh no, you just reminded me that I never did either. I broke a piece off of the dough and put it on my table to burn and I don't know what I ever did with it but I know I didn't burn it. ACK!!! Can I do it from baked challah now, 3 days later?
(different Amother)

Confused

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 1:53 am
amother wrote:
oh no, you just reminded me that I never did either. I broke a piece off of the dough and put it on my table to burn and I don't know what I ever did with it but I know I didn't burn it. ACK!!! Can I do it from baked challah now, 3 days later?
(different Amother)

Confused
yes you can

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 2:20 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
(different Amother)

Confused
yes you can

thank you!!! I will do it in the morning. embarrassed

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 6:03 am
First Amother, ask a shaila what to do now. I know someone else who this happened to.

Second Amother, you have to put all the remaining challah together - touching or under a towel and take challah now.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 10:26 am
I'm the first amother:

I'm totally embaressed to ask my Rav (small community). Is there even anything I can do?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 12:36 pm
challah can be taken after the challah is baked. you should talk to your rav. its really not that embarrassing. it happens, and that is why there are remedies.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
(different Amother)

Confused

the biggest problem with this is that if you threw it out with the rest of the garbage that you did not dispose of it properly. it is legitimate to throw out challah that is taken, however typically, it is double wrapped so not to be mixed in with the garbage that has not been used for kodesh.

you should ask your rabbi, but I think in the original situation and the one where it was taken but not disposed of properly he is going to say its a bdi eved thing.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 1:38 pm
Outside of EY, the only reason that the rabbonim instituted taking challah is so that we don't forget about this. It isn't a halacha in chutz l'aretz so b'dieved it's not really a problem as far as I know.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 1:46 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
amother wrote:
(different Amother)

Confused

the biggest problem with this is that if you threw it out with the rest of the garbage that you did not dispose of it properly. it is legitimate to throw out challah that is taken, however typically, it is double wrapped so not to be mixed in with the garbage that has not been used for kodesh.

you should ask your rabbi, but I think in the original situation and the one where it was taken but not disposed of properly he is going to say its a bdi eved thing.

Actually, your biggest problem is that the dough may have mixed in to other dough and been baked and eaten. This is much worse than if the challah had never been taken, because the taken challah has kedusha and may not be eaten. Ask your LOR.

And Merrymom, challah in chul is not as severe as in EY, but there are still halachos and they have to be kept.

To both amothers, ask your LOR.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
chanamiriam wrote:
amother wrote:
(different Amother)

Confused

Actually, your biggest problem is that the dough may have mixed in to other dough and been baked and eaten. This is much worse than if the challah had never been taken, because the taken challah has kedusha and may not be eaten. Ask your LOR.

And Merrymom, challah in chul is not as severe as in EY, but there are still halachos and they have to be kept.

To both amothers, ask your LOR.

Not after the fact. The halacha is d'rabbanon both in EY and cl" but there are even more leniencies outside of EY because in of itself there was no need for instituting it in the first place (almost like why ashkenazim keep kitniyos despite there being no valid halachic basis for it). You can clarify this with your rav.

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the first amother:

I'm totally embaressed to ask my Rav (small community). Is there even anything I can do?

Don't be embarrassed. It happens often.

Here are some halachos of hafrashas challah from the star-k:

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....h.htm

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 8:48 pm
Op here:

So I called the Rav, he told me if I can find bread to burn, then I should burn it. So I went through three days worth of garbage and compost to find whatever bread I could find. That was fun Tongue Out

(In addition to the appropriate tikun)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 3:11 pm
Merrymom wrote:

Not after the fact. The halacha is d'rabbanon both in EY and cl" but there are even more leniencies outside of EY because in of itself there was no need for instituting it in the first place (almost like why ashkenazim keep kitniyos despite there being no valid halachic basis for it). You can clarify this with your rav.

I have clarified both sorts of situations with my rav in the past. He has never told me that there is "no need for instituting" the mitzvah of challah in chul. (Why is "shelo tishtakach toras challah miYisroel" not a need?) He has, of course, informed me of leniencies in practice in chul, in many different situations. (For example, as far as I know, if you forget to take challah before Shabbos in EY, you're stuck, but in chul, you can save a piece of challah from which you will take challah on motzaei Shabbos.) But that does not mean that there are no halachos, chv"sh, just that we are more meikil. It is misleading to write something like that and lead people to believe that forgetting to take challah/mixing challah back into the rest of the dough is okay, just because it's in chul.
(As an aside, my rav does not hold that there is "no valid halachic basis" to not eating kitniyos on Pesach.)

Merrymom

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
Merrymom wrote:

I have clarified both sorts of situations with my rav in the past. He has never told me that there is "no need for instituting" the mitzvah of challah in chul. (Why is "shelo tishtakach toras challah miYisroel" not a need?) He has, of course, informed me of leniencies in practice in chul, in many different situations. (For example, as far as I know, if you forget to take challah before Shabbos in EY, you're stuck, but in chul, you can save a piece of challah from which you will take challah on motzaei Shabbos.) But that does not mean that there are no halachos, chv"sh, just that we are more meikil. It is misleading to write something like that and lead people to believe that forgetting to take challah/mixing challah back into the rest of the dough is okay, just because it's in chul.
(As an aside, my rav does not hold that there is "no valid halachic basis" to not eating kitniyos on Pesach.)

I didn't say any of that did I? What I did say is that b'dieved or after the fact we pasken leniently cl" because the mitzvah Initially did not apply outside of EY. Of course now this is considered a halacha d'rabanan. What this means is that we are meikil when it's already a done deal, it is not as serious as in EY.

Oh, and there is no halachic basis for kitniyos. If you know of one then please give me your source.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 3:50 pm
You said that it's "not really a problem" after the fact in chul.
It is a problem. We are just more lenient than we would be if it was in EY.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
You said that it's "not really a problem" after the fact in chul.
It is a problem. We are just more lenient than we would be if it was in EY.

"The halacha is d'rabbanon both in EY and cl" but there are even more leniencies outside of EY " (quote)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 6:43 pm
Merrymom wrote:
It isn't a halacha in chutz l'aretz so b'dieved it's not really a problem as far as I know.

This was the original post that I was responding to. It seems that I was mistaken and we actually agree that although it's a lesser problem than in EY, it is a problem nonetheless. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen