Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Eruv Tavshilin - How to and Facts
Previous  1  2

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 12:31 pm
I'm sorry my quote is not in white - I can't quite figure that one out.... Smile

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 12:57 pm
you have to ask the rov. platas are different.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 3:04 pm
I am mostly repeating mimi here, but here goes:

hila wrote:
I think there is a little confusion of halacha here.

1, heating on shabbat itself - ashkenazim only heat up dry food on shabbat itself.

We are Ashkenazi and we pasken that if the sauce is not the ikkar (main thing) you can put it on the platta on Shabbat (with something between the platta and the pot/pan) so you cannot put goulash, but you can put chicken and potatoes you cooked before Shabbat and have a little gravy on them. I don't think everyone paskens this way, so everyone should ask their own LOR. Oh and of course, it must be completely cooked.

Quote:

However they may put food with sauce on the platta from before shabbat.

You can put whatever you like on the platta before Shabbat (as long as it is 1/3 cooked when Shabbat comes in).

Quote:

On chag (YT) one is allowed to cook, so putting food with sauce/gravy straight on the the platta is allowed.

For sure. Soup too.

Quote:

2, Eruv Tavshilin - I have not found anywhere that it has to be done in advance of Shabbat. For a Chabad source http://www.sichosinenglish.org.....9.htm

And others agree with that. The whole idea is that you are preparing for Shabbat - and I never heard it should be done well in advance. I will ask my dh to ask at maariv tonight.

HOWEVER one is not supposed to cook on one day chag for the next day. Some get around this by heating up food early enough in the day taht tehre would be time to eat it anyway on 1st day chag. Maybe you are confusing the two issues ?

Please quote sources for the early start to ET. It is not logical -after all we do light candles at teh last minute.

I am not mixed up, although I don't have a source. This is definitely right (although quite possibly there are other opinions.) I am so sure because I only learnt it two or three years ago and dh told me and I was also surprised.
The reason is that really you can only cook for that day on YT, so even cooking for Shabbos is a heter, allowed by the chachamim when using an eruv tavshilin. So you have to cook/ heat it early enough in the day that it could be used, if someone wanted, on Friday.
Of course you can't do this when YT is on another day of the week (even first day RH) unless you really intend to use it that day.

The point you raise about the candles is very interesting and I will ask dh.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 4:01 am
I asked dh and he said the candles are no problem at all, because you immediately get benefit from them, even if it's still daytime and certainly once it's shkiya (after shkiya is the end of YT as well as the beginning of Shabbat).

And I asked him again about the having to warm up/cook well before Shabbat and it is correct. He said there is a machloket (argument) in the gemorra whether one is allowed to prepare on YT for Shabbat.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Oct 22 2011, 5:36 pm
For some reason DH had this misguided idea that cooked food for eruv tavshilin needs to be kept together with the baked food. So toward seuda shlishi I found a container of veal roast thats been sitting next to a challah unrefrigerated for nearly 3 days (which I needed to chuck obviously). Grrrrrr... Exploding anger

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Oct 22 2011, 7:56 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
For some reason DH had this misguided idea that cooked food for eruv tavshilin needs to be kept together with the baked food. So toward seuda shlishi I found a container of veal roast thats been sitting next to a challah unrefrigerated for nearly 3 days (which I needed to chuck obviously). Grrrrrr... Exploding anger

We kept ours together just so I shouldn't forget which challah roll we used (since you are supposed to eat it on Shabbat), so I just stuck the challah roll in a bag, and put them both in the fridge. Cold challah is fine, whereas unrefrigerated roast (or in our case, chicken) is not Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions