Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Yomtov guest in a small house - WWYD?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 7:47 pm
We're in a smallish community and getting a guest chazzon for yomim noraim. He is coming byhimself, and our Rabbi asked if we can host him as a guest. We have a spare room which we can use as a guest room with a sofabed, but the tricky bit is we have only 1 bathroom. Would you have a guest who'll be staying for 3 days where we have to share a bathroom? DH already said yes to the Rabbi, I know the Rabbi has just barely enough space for his family and children, most other families don't have spare guest rooms.

vicki

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 8:30 pm
I do.
I offer the basement with a bedroom/bathroom but it is somewhat basement-y. I also offer one of the spare rooms upstairs and let them know we all share a bathroom. Some take the downstairs some take the upstairs. I don't mind if they don't mind.
I try not to go in the middle of the night but if I have to, I put on everything I need and make it quick.
I've only once in over 10 years of marriage bumped into a guest. A cousin (male), luckily and we were both covered but a bit embarrassed nonetheless. We laughed. No big deal.

shnitzel

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 8:32 pm
I do. We have sleepover guests fairly often and a one bedroom/one bathroom. They sleep on the couch. I run it by them before they are invited to make sure they are ok with the accommodations.

Last edited by shnitzel on Mon, Sep 19 2011, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 8:51 pm
I had guests with 1 bathroom. Now I have one bathroom and one master bathroom, and I'm not really the type to like others walking through my bedroom...and I'm having guests.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 8:55 pm
Sure, it's a mitzva Smile You'll manage fine. My dh is a chazzan yamim noraim as well, and last year at the family that hosted us we shared a bathroom with an entire family (including 3 kids) plus assorted others.

chanahlady

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 10:48 pm
You'll be fine. We've had six people in our small two bed, one bath apartment for RH before and everyone seems to manage.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 5:24 am
I think one bathroom is ok always, one toilet is ok depending on how many people there are (4 ok, not 10!).

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 5:55 am
we just had 6 adults, and 10 kids sharing 2 bathrooms. It was fine.

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 6:42 am
We have had 5 kids and 4 adults sharing one bathroom and it was fine.
Every situation is different but don't worry and it will all be good Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 6:44 am
I think the real question is number of toilets more than bathrooms.

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 6:51 am
Right Ruchel, I was thinking toilets...in my situation we were all in our tiny caravan Smile Only one toilet/bathroom there! Smile It was cozy.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 12:37 pm
We have 1 toilet in the bathroom. It's just for yomtov so not worried about running out of hot water with shower but do you think sharing 1 toilet among 3 adults and 2 children is doable? I'm amazed how those of you with more crowded space than we have manage to do hachnasat orchim.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 7:24 pm
I really enjoyed this thread. I, too, live in a very small house, only one bath...and must think twice b4 inviting guests over. Most posts ask questions like, "How many bathrooms do you have?" which really turns me off, because I only have one, so this made me realize there are others in my situation too. I recently had three girls in the guest room and they all needed to shower, which left DH and I waiting to use the bathroom for over an hour! So I'm not sure about having guests very often, but sometimes I must, so we just make the best of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics