Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is this a weird name for a "yeshivish" girl?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 3:08 am
Chelli (CHEH-lee), nickname for Rochel.

Would a kid with this name stick out in say, Lakewood, or somewhere comparable?

cinnamon

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 3:17 am
I don't think it would as it sounds as a shortnening of Rachellie which is a fairly common nickname for Rachel.

3 little 1s

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 3:55 am
Depends how yeshivish. I think asking the school to call her Chelli would be unusual. Racheli would be less unusual. But if it is that family and friends that know her as chelli, it is not unusual...its a nickname, like any other. Plenty of yeshivish people have very unusual nicknames.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 3:58 am
I don't think so. It's cute, actually.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 4:12 am
It is a bit unconventional in that world IMHO, but I think it will still be accepted.

I definitely don't think anyone would make fun of it or anything.

I went to a Bais Yaakov, and there was a girl named Rachie (pronounced RAY-tshee), and some teachers did give her a hard time that it wasn't a Hebrew name. They insisted on calling her by her full Hebrew name which was Rochel Esther or something like that. I always felt bad for her...

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 4:14 am
I just met a woman last week with that name (mid 20's, anglo charedi in EY)

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 5:18 am
my dd had a classmate with that nickname. Lubavitch, american, about 12.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 5:56 am
amother wrote:
It is a bit unconventional in that world IMHO, but I think it will still be accepted.

I definitely don't think anyone would make fun of it or anything.

I went to a Bais Yaakov, and there was a girl named Rachie (pronounced RAY-tshee), and some teachers did give her a hard time that it wasn't a Hebrew name. They insisted on calling her by her full Hebrew name which was Rochel Esther or something like that. I always felt bad for her...
Very Happy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 6:06 am
I know an Israeli Charedi young woman with that name.

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 7:06 am
not at all. I really like it actually....

amother

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 8:11 am
most Rochel's get called Rochely so it's not really any different

amother

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 11:27 am
everyone has their mishigassim , my son was called Yeedl by my mother, because he was named for his grandfather who was called that. The whole family calls him that. His school insisted that everyone call him Yoseif Yehuda

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 11:33 am
Whatever you call her and register her as will be her name. If you like it call her that way. If your dd doesn't she can always go by her real name then.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 11:36 am
My neice in Lakewood named Rochel goes by Chelli. I don't think she has any problem. she's 6 btw.

oranges

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 11:41 am
I teach/have taught a Chelli (shortened from Rachelli), a Chedi, a Nitti, a Dissy, and a Ditty.
All from regular names originally.

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 2:02 pm
I think its mean to call a child or anyone by any name other than the one they r known by. if everyone calls her chelli, than whose business is it to call her anything else? imagine if ur full name was sara shprintze and u went by the name suri. along comes mrs. so and so and decides shprintze is more appropriate. um, excuse me? a nickname is just as much and identity as anything else.

YaelB

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 6:05 pm
Will it be pronounced with a hard chet, or like, "Heh-l-ee." If it's pronounced, "hell-ee," people might thing that you are referring to your daughter as H-E-double-hockey-sticks.. which isn't so complimentary in any circles.

unexpected

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 6:21 pm
My children are called by nicknames at home but they all go by their full names in school. I think it is important for kids to know their real names and respond to them - especially if that is also their legal name. My husband was called by his second name and his legal name is his first name. So his taxes, for example, are under a different name than his health insurance and his credit cards don't really match his signature, etc.

maze

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 6:37 pm
I like the nickname. I once heard of Chali- (chayli) which is the basically the same. It is also short for Rachel, but I think it sounds better with an e the way you spelled it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names