Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Organizing socks??

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 5:30 pm
What is the best tried and true method of organizing socks?

I need help with finding a way to organize all the clean pairs of socks and also, how to keep them as separate as possible during laundering so that they don't get lost and mixed up. I have 3 kids close in age and am forever mixing up their socks! Rolling Eyes

myself

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 5:43 pm
You can buy sock clips and clip the socks together as soon as they take them off. That should keep them paired through washing and drying!

naomi2

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 5:45 pm
myself wrote:
You can buy sock clips and clip the socks together as soon as they take them off. That should keep them paired through washing and drying!

we use sock locks and it works well just in case you cant find sock clips. or are they the same thing?

Jewishmofm

Post Mon, Oct 31 2011, 5:53 pm
sock locks are a brand name sock clip item. unfortunately, did not work for us. my kids can't use them, and I have no time/inclination to run after them as they undress and do it myself. . .
I am about to embark on each son having one type of sock, so they don't need pairing. also, the goldtoe socks make noticing sizes a breeze. then I just have to sort the socks into proper bins and each kid can grab two socks when they need it. we'll see how it goes.
regardless of if these ideas work for the OP and me, can y'all post any other ideas you have?

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:04 am
naomi2 wrote:
myself wrote:

we use sock locks and it works well just in case you cant find sock clips. or are they the same thing?

We have like 1000 pairs of socks! That's a lot of sock clips lol...

What do you all think about each kid having their own garment bag hanging above the hamper for them to dump socks in?

Marion

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:42 am
I throw all kid socks in a lingerie bag (mesh). It works for now. I sort them when they come out by lining them up and pairing off by size/colour. Even with close in age there's enough of a difference to size them. In the drawer they each have a box (old shoe box) to keep their socks in so they don't get lost under the tzitzis & underwear.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 6:25 am
Marion wrote:
I throw all kid socks in a lingerie bag (mesh). It works for now. I sort them when they come out by lining them up and pairing off by size/colour. Even with close in age there's enough of a difference to size them. In the drawer they each have a box (old shoe box) to keep their socks in so they don't get lost under the tzitzis & underwear.

So I really have an issue with finding the sock sizes. I mean, I'm talking like 12-24 months, 2T/3T, and 4T. Some socks have the skid markings, some don't. I literally have to measure each sock and it is quite a pain. That's why I am looking for something to save me time in measuring each sock.

Marion

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 6:58 am
I'm talking 12-24 months (some with, some without the markings), and whatever the Israeli sizes are for a 3 y.o. and a 5 y.o. I actually davka bought the 5 y.o. a different brand the last time so it would have a marking on the bottom (the brand is woven in).

3 little 1s

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 7:32 am
Jewishmofm wrote:
sock locks are a brand name sock clip item. unfortunately, did not work for us. my kids can't use them, and I have no time/inclination to run after them as they undress and do it myself. . .
I am about to embark on each son having one type of sock, so they don't need pairing. also, the goldtoe socks make noticing sizes a breeze. then I just have to sort the socks into proper bins and each kid can grab two socks when they need it. we'll see how it goes.
regardless of if these ideas work for the OP and me, can y'all post any other ideas you have?

I have same prob as OP.
Would also love to do this but feel its a waste of my existing non matching socks!!! Seriously have tons of socks....NONE matching. What is goldtoe socks? I have tried buying the same colour socks, lots of them, but all the cheap packs of socks are made up of different designs (with a common theme).

Anyone got links?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 7:32 am
I B"H have a nice size family and quite a few of them where the same size shells, underwear or socks etc. Laundry waS becoming a nightmare because I never knew what belonged to whom. So I invested some time and now its a breeze
I bought a different color puff paint for each child. I then started cleaning their closets and draws. Took out each and every article of clothing and puff painted three dots of paint of that particular child's designated color. The socks I dotted in two places. On the bottom and also on the inside right under the top band. The bottom is for obvious reasons to know which socks to pair together and the inside because after I pair and fold them I wouldve been left w a bunch of paired socks but now not know again to which
Child they each belong. So once I folded it the paint that was on the inside is now showing on the outside. Once all their stuff was dotted I try to remember take out a few seconds each time we buy something new to just dot it and let it dry before putting away.
As my kids outgrow things and pass them down I take the new recipients color and dot their color over the old.
Works perfectly for me.

shoemaker

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 8:13 am
I buy socks by color, the sock is black but in the front where the fingers r
the seam is green, red , yellow, so each kid gets a diff color.

myself

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 9:27 am
Marion wrote:

Perhaps put each child's socks in a different color mesh bag so you know to who it belongs.

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 9:50 am
I saw a different color according to each size on all my socks and tights. when I pass to the next child s/he knows that sh/e has now a different color.
It takes a few minutes, if I have a lot of tights I do it with the machine, but pairing and looking for which sock/tights belongs to whom.

sock clips/mesh bags doesn't work you have to rely on your kid and it doesn't happen

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:19 pm
goldtoe brand socks available at target or here: http://www.goldtoemoretz.com/s.....dToe/
target is cheaper, made for them by goldtoe, if available near you.

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 2:53 am
Each of my kids has their own hamper now, and their assigned laundry-doing time. (YAY!) Their own socks stay with their laundry, so no sorting necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry