Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is my landlord being a bit unfair?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 11:13 am
Our landlord called at 10:30 last night & told us that they will be shutting off the electricity in our apartment today from 12 to 4 pm.

I feel really upset about this, so I'm wondering if this is a normal thing for a landlord to do.

We live in a basement apartment so the lack of electricity, even during the day time will really affect me. It will be really dark in my apartment, and I have a baby at home with me (and a preschooler who will be coming home during that time). It really will affect my day.

I am especially upset since she said that they will be shutting off the electricity in the whole house, except for the first floor, which is the landlord's main living area.

Am I reasonable for being upset about this? I would be more understanding if it was for an hour or so, but four hours is a long time.

1Life2Live

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 11:17 am
what's the reason for shutting down the electricity? If it's only once for a good reason, then you shouldn't be so upset. Things happen and maybe you can go to a friend/neighbor/family during this time.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 11:24 am
I don't quite understand what the reason is.

They've been doing a lot of electrical work lately, so this is not the first time I have been inconvenienced with this sort of thing.

I happen to feel pretty upset at the landlord right now because they just raised the rent. We are in a very tight financial situation right now. When I told them this and asked if they would please consider raising it a drop less, even $15 less would help, they refused to budge. And then I discovered that she discussed this rent issue with our neighbors, telling them something along the lines of that we were upset they raised the rent and now we're in a fight with them. So I feel angry to begin with, and this electricity issue is just the icing on the cake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics