Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dream home - please share your ideas with me.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 5:50 pm
I am building my dream home. Please help me with ideas. It its a detached home. Right now we see planning on two levels with a full basement.

If you have seen any ideas you would be willing to share, I would really appreciate this.

Everyone was so helpful with kitchen ideas, I figured I would try my luck again.

Thank you in advance.

Kumphort

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 5:54 pm
Laundry room on the bedroom level

Heated flooring, in bathrooms,

door between shower, and toilet in the bathroom, so multiple ppl can use at the same time

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 6:00 pm
sink in laundry room to bathe baby. like someone said, on bedroom floor level.

driveway

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 6:26 pm
Two master bathrooms. A walk in closet opening into each bathroom. For the basement, I am thinking of a room big enough for simchas.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 6:29 pm
vacuem system, stereo system in walls, intercom with screen, jacuzzi's in all bathrooms, guest suite with full bathroom, big kitchen with separate dinette with lots of windows, wrap around porch with rocking chairs, full size laundry room with table to fold laundry. big walk in closet in master bedroom with gorgeous california closet dividers. cozy family room with fire place.....

and.... a live in maid!

a girl is allowed to dream right! LOL

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 6:31 pm
Kumphort wrote:
door between shower, and toilet in the bathroom, so multiple ppl can use at the same time

We did that in 3 (out of 6) of the full bathrooms when we added on, and found that they were never used by more than one person at a time (this is with a very large family). I wouldn't do it again.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 6:45 pm
Hi. This is my first post on imamother but we added a second floor, and made some changes to the first floor to the house that we bought so I've actually spent a lot of time thinking about this topic!! We also had a terrific architect and get tons of compliments on the house so I think I might be able to help. Also I know you said your husband's modest. My husband and I built this house in a neighborhood where the houses are small unless they were renovated and a. we couldn't afford a mansion and b. we didn't want a mansion in such a neighborhood so I understand where you are coming from. As it is we get comments about the outside of the house because the architect did such a great job. I feel uncomfortable when I see people stop and stare at the house which happens often and no we don't even have nice landscaping or anything its just due to zoning we couldn't build the house as a "box". By the way neighbors don't like when you build "box" houses- they find them ugly and an eyesore even though you get more space on the inside. Some ideas we were able to do, some we weren't: Its in no order, just as I think of them Ok here goes :

1. Coat closet when you first come in.
2. guest room with attached bathroom- we like it that it's on the first floor in case anyone can't get up the stairs- also you want to think aging in place- you can technically live on first floor.
3. we have a kids bathroom that has two sinks and a door between the sinks and the toilet.
4. we have heated floors in the upstairs bathrooms and my husband LOVES it.
5. we have the laundry room on the floor with the bedrooms and yes it is helpful and yes I personally do feel the kitchen floor vibrating when it's running but I'm super sensitive and would do it again if doing it over.
6. playroom that you can see from the kitchen.
7. my husband made a pass-through from our kitchen to our dining room which has come in handy.
8. a kitchen large enough to have separate sides for meat and dairy and a table. I prefer table to island because its easier.
9. a "mud room" that you can enter from a side door for the kids.
10. a nursery attached to the master bedroom
11. a master bathroom
12. an office/study attached to the master bedroom.
13. a sink or something on the ground floor to rinse your mop etc.
14. we put a deeper, longer bathtub in our bathroom and a shallower one in the kids bathroom- makes bathing kids easier but gives us a nice bathtub.
15. definitely sink in laundry room. Place to fold the laundry as well.
16. lots of closet space. Personally I like having 2 closets per room so that if you have more then one kid in the room they can each get their space.
17. closets in the bathrooms so you can store toilet paper, towels etc... there
18. Entry way so you aren't walking directly in to the main house area- for when people stop bye, it just gives a nicer feel and doesn't have to be big.
19. We went for an open feel on the first floor with wide doorways to living room and dining room.
20. at least a covering for the front outdoor stairs so that you don't get wet while opening the door...
21. a patio directly off the kitchen so that you can have the succah directly off the house.
22. a gate around the backyard.
23. A driveway
24. a garage
25. a straight path from sidewalk to house- it's easier when walking.
26. minimal stairs outside- again for guests and in order to be able to "age in place" ( I'm actually not even 30 but there are always older relatives....)
27. a bay window in the dining room so that you can put your chanukah menorahs there.
28. make sure there is enough room in the bathroom for you to sit comfortably while your watching your kids in the bathtub.
29. don't have the upstairs bathroom door facing the staircase going down.
30. we put a bathroom in between two bedrooms as well without a shower or tub so that if they have to go to the bathroom during the night etc.. it's right there.

Hatzlacha. Also please be careful who you use as a contractor and make sure to check their work and have your architect check their work-our architect was critical for that- he really fought with the contractor for us. For example they didn't put the windows in the way the windows manufacturer says you should so the architect made them redo it....

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 6:47 pm
OP here. We have a small family; but we building in Monsey. DH wants to build a baby room of the MB. He is building more bedrooms than we have kids. It its not likely we will have more; but it is not inconceivable.

Some ideas are a Shabbos apartment in the basement for strangers. If anyone has any experience, I would be interested.

DH is considering a built in Sukkoh. I am not so sure.

The house is going to be a colonial. There will be 5 1/2 bathrooms so there will not be a need to wait for a shower.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 6:47 pm
OP here. We have a small family; but we building in Monsey. DH wants to build a baby room of the MB. He is building more bedrooms than we have kids. It its not likely we will have more; but it is not inconceivable.

Some ideas are a Shabbos apartment in the basement for strangers. If anyone has any experience, I would be interested.

DH is considering a built in Sukkoh. I am not so sure.

The house is going to be a colonial. There will be 5 1/2 bathrooms so there will not be a need to wait for a shower.

Pooh

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 7:00 pm
oooh if ur having a shabbos apartment, then make sure to have a kitchen there and make that your pessach kitchen, I know people that wither have it in the garage or in the basement apartment and they both love it!!!

amother

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 7:03 pm
Thank you amother. I just ran through your ideas with DH. He will be the contractor which saves.

Since he knows so much more than I do, I don't really contribute much.

I saw black window frames. I kind of like the look.

I really appreciate your time. Again, thank you.

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 7:16 pm
ooooo this is fuuuun

ok:

1- white picket fence around the property

2- swing set, trampoline, basketball hoop in the backyard. (no pool-too much hassle), large shed for bikes and outdoor things.

3- two car garage attached to the house, with a door leading into the house.

4- foyer with large walk in coat closet.

5- large living room with bay windows

6- seperate dining room with doors to kitchen

7- kitchen: two totally seperate sides for milk/meat. includes two dishwashers, sinks, counters, microwaves, ovens, two fridges/freezers so can cook and freeze. walk in pantry, a deck leading off the kitchen with grill and a picnic table. also a waterproof awning that can be rolled back for the succa.

8- a den with a nice big flatscreen tv monitor and sterio system and desks for the kids to do hw. (dont want cable or tv but I always dreamed of watching movies on a large screen and not my laptop) and a soft couch

9- a study for my husband for all his zillions of seforim and papers. and the computer.

10- a powder room on the main floor

11- basement: large playroom, three guest rooms with two and a half bathrooms. a pesach kitchen.

12- upstairs: laundry room on bedroom floor with a sink in it and a drying rack, and ironing board.

13- 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms for the kids.

14- master suite: huge!!! walk in closet, bathroom with a shower and best of all a deep jaccuzzi.

15- plush carpeting the whole house except the bathrooms, kitchens, and dining rooms

bnm

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 7:33 pm
1-closet in the bathroom for towels (I've forgotten a towel too many times!)
2-well divided closets in EVERY room, I have 2 in my apt and hate it
3-pull out drawers in your kitchen
4-ditto for the sink in laundry room to bathe baby in/soak laundry
5-laundry room big enough with a table to fold laundry there, maybe a chute from the main floor?

obagys

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 7:35 pm
We recently added a 2nd floor (5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry room), so what I would recommend is:

LARGE master bedroom. I always thought it would be silly to have so much room for just me & DH, but we totally love all the space (as do the kids when they are in there). We have 2 very large walk-in closets, one for him & one for me, with customized built-in shelving and hanging polls. Our closets are large enough to put a twin bed or crib in too, if we needed to for any reason, lol. We also have a balcony off the master bedroom, and it is nice to sit out there with hubby on a spring/summer night.

LARGE master bathroom with soaking tub or jacuzzi with large deck around it. Linen closet, large shower (with multiple heads and/or sprays). His & her "toilet rooms" and large vanity area for you. Heated floors if that is impt to you.

We only put in one hall bathroom upstairs but I think 2 would be ideal. We do have a pocket door between one vanity and the 2nd vanity with tub/toilet area, and both vanities ARE used at the same time at bedtime or right before Shabbos. Large linen/towel closet in the bathroom is nice as well.

Laundry room with hanging space, place to fold clothes, and utility sink.

All our bedrooms upstairs have built-in shelving/drawers/hanging space. There is no need for extra furniture in the room (except maybe a desk) so it maximizes play space, which is great for my kids.

My bookworm daughter has a built-in window seat with a decorative oval window - nice touch for her.

DOWNSTAIRS, our former master bedroom became the guest room and we redid the attached bathroom. It's nice to have a guest room on the main level when dealing with elderly guests or parents who may not do steps easily.

A foyer with large coat closet is really nice. We have a deep closet behind our steps which is great to store folding tables/chairs and other bulky items that you want to have somewhat handy.

Large playroom on the main level with comfy sofas in there. Our playroom has mostly toys and due to lack of seating other than the floor, my older kids (8, 9 and 10!) seem to filter out into the living room when they want to curl up with a book or just relax.

I could go on more, but those things came to mind first.

Hatzlacha, this is very exciting (and maybe a bit overwhelming!) for you!! I hope you love your house Smile

Smiling Wife

Post Sat, Nov 12 2011, 9:07 pm
I care about the sun...or how to sun shines onto different rooms. Depending of the time of the year, certain room will get more light and other will get less, also depending on where the windows are placed.
The kitchen needs most light, It should face south so the sun shines on it and it would be well lit most of the day.
The master bedroom also.
Other rooms should have windows facing south, east ( for morning sunshine) or west for sunset, not north because the sun doesn't shine for a long time...I might be wrong about directions, so check.
You get what I am saying?
Only if it matters to you. To me a house well lit by natural light is the best!

Also, a guest room with sink and little kitchenette can become a source of income if made well, own entrance..etc.

Mazal Tov, may the new house be filled with smachot, and may it allow you to do more chessed.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 6:48 am
some more thoughts after discussing with DH:
-window from kitchen to backyard so can watch kids playing
-family room on floor with bedrooms
-put in a french drain so you won't have to later when it'll be a lot more expensive
-sound proof any bedrooms that don't have closets in between them

blue eyes

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 1:16 pm
Wide hallways. It makes such a difference when you can have two ppl walking in two opposite directions w/o feeling like you're squeezing through.
also if you are in monsey a built in sukkah is a great idea ( with a skylight opening- some ppl do it in the attick or something) saves loads of time before sukkos and since monsey is generelly cold sukkos it allows you to have regular heating. the only downside is that you haveto shlepp the food one or two flights up depending... my suggestion is to make a small counter, two burners small fridge etc in the "sukkah room" so that you can keep the food upstairs and not haveto run up and down..

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 2:03 pm
Regarding the idea op for a shabbos room, my in laws have a guest room off their kitchen. It is a small room, a closet, 2 beds and a table a seperate entrance from the side of teh house and a small fridge, kettle and a few drawers. and a tiny bathroom. It is tiny and its a bit silly that it is off the kitchen but the benefits is that you can lock the door to the kitchen from the kitchen and from the room so if we stay there we lock from inside if we want but when random people stay there she locks it from the kitchen.

A few practical ideas besides for another vote for a large laundry room with place for clean, dirty and folded washing as well as an ironing board and a few hooks to hang freshly ironed clothes there (maybe a lock from the outside to lock your cleaner in there till shes done the washing from beg. till end LOL )
lots of closets for storage (shelves and hanging mix), jacuzzi bath tub, a drain in your kitchen sink that grinds up large stuff straight away, stops blockages, an open dining room/lounge but with an archway or coffee table or something to separate the area a bit, a playroom off the kitchen, a small room that has an entrance with a small shower to shower off dirty, snowy/sandy kids as soon as you come in and dont trek the dirt through the house....
cant think of anything else right now but good luck and enjoy Smile

mom2be1

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 5:38 pm
Everyone had terrific ideas!! As far as a sukkah room consider putting in a skylight either in the dinette dining room or build a sunroom/ sitting room. When sukkos comes just lay some schach down!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics