Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much $ can a mashgiach (kashrus) make?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 6:35 pm
I know a lot of them are getting really little pay, but I know others do better. How do you get the better-paying jobs? How do you get your first job? Is it better to work for a large kashrus organization or a small local one?

(Trying to think of realistic parnassah options for a family I'm helping.)

mysunshine

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 10:30 pm
As far as I know around 15-18 an hour. Try that a rabbi write a recommendation letter and then call the kashrus org to see if they are looking for someone. Good luck.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 7:43 am
As someone whose husband works as a mashiach, I would probably say that it's not a realistic parnassah option for a family. It's better than nothing, perhaps while looking for something else, but generally you're looking at minimum wage or close to it and often being treated very badly.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 9:22 am
It depends on where you live.. Generally , somewhere between 10-20$.
The amount you get paid depends on many factors : supply and demand, if you are willing to be a working mashgiach, hours, etc..
OOT organizations are generally easier to work with and you are treated better than bigger ones.
To find a first job, I would call up your local Kashrus vaad.
Hatlzacha.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 9:24 am
DH gets $18/hr in NYC an he works for the OU part time.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 1:37 pm
At restaurants in Manhattan: $18 an hour. By the way, I dated one Mashgiach who travels back and forth between TWO restaurants, and they each pay him $18 an hour, and there are 3 hours a day that overlap...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 1:40 pm
The Mashgiach I dated said that the Manhattan restaurants want RELIABLE people, and he was able to get a second job overlapping the first because of his REPUTATION. Whatever job he gets at first, he should always be punctual and reliable and do his job well to get the better jobs.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 3:13 pm
OP here. Thank you for your responses! I think it may be a possibility for them. He's very meticulous and would be good at this sort of job, and $18 an hour (if he can get it) is better than what he's making now. Thank you ladies!

tikva18

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 3:42 pm
The first question is does the man have any experience? "That's the problem with hashgocha these days. That when people can't get any other type of job they think they can just become a mashgiach. this is why there are problems with the quality of kashrus supervision these days. If they are willing to go through the proper training, then maybe."

Secondly, saying he does have experience and knowledge then dh thinks he should start with a larger agency. The person will have a greater shot with the larger agency. It depends on where this family lives.

Dh says the OU is really the largest agency.

"I don't believe a working mashgiach can do his job properly. If you take a mashgiach and stick him at a cash register then he can't see what's going on in the kitchen...unless he's headed back to rinse off the lettuce - there's a problem."

That said: an entering mashgiach could expect to make anywhere from $10/hr to $15 if he's doing well. Dh says that mashgichim in N.Y. aren't paid well.
It depends on where he is and what type of hashgocha he's doing: restaurants, commercial, hotels, catering, etc - and it depends on whether he's just the mashgiach or also supervising something else (like manager).
Dh has had many people train under him - some have worked out and some haven't. It takes perseverence, an ability to acknowledge that someone else knows more than you, a strong ethic, loyalty to the supervising agency, an ability to be unflappable in the face of utter rudeness, the ability to be the authority ( a lot of people will dispute what the masgiach says or try to slip things past him), and to be tireless - mashgichim work exceedingly long hours that are at times unpredictable, and a wife who's willing to make that sacrifice - knowing that her husband is working for the klal. I can't say how many shabbosim have past by without my dh. I make kiddush, I make hamotzi, I am the tatty when he's not home. Dh says that "a mashgiach has to have the attitude of not trusting anyone. He should be prepared to have major disagreements with where he is working." That said, it's crucial to have their respect as well.
Also, at least in my case, expect him to live on the phone dealing with issues. lol
My dh has covered the gamut in kashrus. he's done shlock houses, treiboring, commercial production, catering, restaurants, stores, bakeries, kashering for pesach. He's currently in catering and has for many years now, but still does the occasional commercial run. He also oversees a shul kitchen. He also gets calls from all over wanting professional advice, including from kashrus administrators.
He's been in kashrus since 1980. This is our sole parnassa. yes, sometimes things can be tight, but the reward is great.

eta: while I wrote this post and conferred with him - he had at least 4 kashrus related phone calls that 'interrupted' - or was I interrupting him? lol. And yes, he's working on Chol HaMo'ed.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 5:12 pm
The more you tell me, the more he sounds perfect for the job! I am really excited about this idea. He has all the qualities you mentioned. And it's encouraging to know that your husband is able to support a family on one income. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 5:44 pm
new amother here

My husband is also a mashgiach. He makes around $20 an hour. Truth is that we are guilty of working the system and get medicaid and food stamps to survive. He works long long hours and his boss doesn't respect him. All the workers in the restaurant DO respect him though. He is the only jew in the restaurant of ateast 30 non-jews and many of them don't speak english. My husband is reliable and very trustworthy which is why they really like him. He works for the OU. Jobs are hard to come by and we are happy he atleast has a job. He also gets free food at work and I never have to pack him lunch. If I am tired and I don't want to cook dinner, he will bring home dinner for the family.

tikva18

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
The more you tell me, the more he sounds perfect for the job! I am really excited about this idea. He has all the qualities you mentioned. And it's encouraging to know that your husband is able to support a family on one income. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Smile We are, k'naina hara, a family of 7. I won't mislead you; things are tight. Due to special needs/diets we spend more than the norm. We do not get/qualify for medicaid, etc. The caterer for whom he works gives us medical ins. and we don't have to pay premiums. He does bring food home sometimes - but due to my kids diets, they can't always eat it.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 10 2011, 1:53 pm
on the same line- is there a program where they need a mashgiach only shabbosim or yomim tovim ( like hotels etc) just thinking if DH can be a mashgiach over pesach and we get hotel for free- that would be awesome!

tikva18

Post Thu, Nov 10 2011, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
on the same line- is there a program where they need a mashgiach only shabbosim or yomim tovim ( like hotels etc) just thinking if DH can be a mashgiach over pesach and we get hotel for free- that would be awesome!

It's an incredible amount of work and he'll need to know hilchos pesach and kashrus very, very well.
Hatzlacha!

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 10 2011, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:

And free isn't so free either. You may not have to pay for room and board, but there are still tips-8 days, 3 meals a day or a waiter, the maid. Travel costs too depending where the hotel is. And chol hamoed trips add up too. Seder w/o dh sitting with you..... I you have kids-the day camp costs too. And the counselors tips.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:

It's a kind of plum job, like pesach in carribean or florida hotels. Most mashgichim who are lucky to land such jobs are unlikely to give up. I know someone who works for OK Lab, he gets very good compensation probably almost enough to support a family but he has chemistry or engineering degree which is helpful for commercial food production AND HE TRAVELS. I'm not talking about hopping multiple restaurants across Brooklyn, but real OOT places like Vietnam and Korea. It's a hardship post and his wife really hates that.

tikva18

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

It's a kind of plum job, like pesach in carribean or florida hotels. Most mashgichim who are lucky to land such jobs are unlikely to give up. I know someone who works for OK Lab, he gets very good compensation probably almost enough to support a family but he has chemistry or engineering degree which is helpful for commercial food production AND HE TRAVELS. I'm not talking about hopping multiple restaurants across Brooklyn, but real OOT places like Vietnam and Korea. It's a hardship post and his wife really hates that.

That's not true. Some mashgichim won't touch hotel jobs due to the long, hard hours and difficulties involved - plus lack of time with spouse, family etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics