Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
"The way you daven"

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 1:08 pm
'The way you daven is how your entire day will turn out."
this was told to me throughout my school years.

true or false?
any personal experiences to prove it?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 1:10 pm
I was also taught that women raising small children are exempt, I can see why

queen

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:

maybe exempt from FORMAL tefillah. Not so sure a woman is 'potur' (redeemed) from davening all together though.

Tefillah doesn't have to be in a siddur. Talking to Hashem throughout the day IS tefillah too. In any language you feel comfortable with.

I remember learning that in order for it to constitute a tefillah- it must have at least one request, and one form of gratitude to Hashem.

Just bec. one is busy with their kids all day doesn't mean they can't talk their prayers throughout the day. for ex.....Please Hashem take care of my kids at school that they should be happy and learn well. etc. etc. Please Hashem give me the strength to deal wisely with my family.

The above is also tefillah, said straight from the heart.
I firmly believe that the more you involve Hashem in your life, the more involved Hashem will be- in your life.

If we give off the attitude that we're fine w/o needing Hashem very possibly Hashem in return can say- ok, deal with e/t yourself, without my help.

nehama

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 10:24 pm
I always feel happier on a day that I've davened. Sometimes it just gets too late and I don't and I feel like my whole day was lost.

happymom

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 11:02 pm
Quote:

I was told its not that simple. I can also see why if we have time to talk on the phone and relax, do other things that need to get done, we can most days have time to daven too. So I think exmpt is for if you REALLY really cant.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:02 am
[quote="queen] maybe exempt from FORMAL tefillah. Not so sure a woman is 'potur' (redeemed) from davening all together though.[/quote]

We are fully exempt, altogether.

happymom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:34 am
These days, Many many woman have taken upon themselves to daven. I don't think its so simple to just say we are exempt. I read an article that if u really don't have time to daven, u should ask a rav which parts u should say and which u shouldn't, u shouldn't decide on ure own. Im not saying everyone should ask a rav im just bringing out my point. If we can find time to do so many things that aren't needed, why cant we find time to do this special mitzvah, as well as being good role models to our children. (at least saying the main parts. I learned alot from seeing my mother daven and say chitas every single day. she has 13 kids kh. I dont judge ppl who don't, I understand them, its just I want to give my kids that good example I got from my mother.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:54 am
woman with children are not mechuyov (obligated ) to daven!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 12:04 pm
hardworknmom are you sure you aren't saying that wishfully? Your statement is given "authoritatively", but without Halachic sources you aren't making a case!

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 1:53 pm
hey, there's another thread on Women and Davening, no need to repeat it here and how come NOBODY HAS RESPONDED to the woman who started the thread? Confused

she asked:

Quote:

true or false?

I have not seen it to be true for me, but it sounds like it ought to be true!

supermom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 2:27 pm
happymom wrote:
(at least saying the main parts. I learned alot from seeing my mother daven and say chitas every single day. she has 13 kids kh. I dont judge ppl who don't, I understand them, its just I want to give my kids that good example I got from my mother.

okay not exactly the same but just an example what is good for one is not always the same for others. When I was pregnant with my son I told the doctor that I don't understand why I am gaining so much and barely eating and all. So his stupid answer he gave me was I know of a woman that has fourteen kids and looks as though she could pass for a stick. So stay out of the fridge. Rolling Eyes Now how did that advice help me one bit don't ask me since it seems he wasn't listening to me in the first place. He felt just because this woman was a stick so to that all woman and made equal that we can be the same. and he calls himself an gyn. shock

willow

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 2:32 pm
Quote:

true or false?

I think that it is true in the sense that when I daven I have a stronger connection to h-shem. Therefore as my day progresses I have a greater awarness of h-shem and so my day has a more positive light because I have more trust in Him with whatever happens. Did I make any sense? Confused

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 4:03 pm
willow, I think you got it right.
thanx for the explanation.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 4:44 pm
Motek wrote:
hey, there's another thread on Women and Davening, no need to repeat it here and how come NOBODY HAS RESPONDED to the woman who started the thread? Confused

she asked:

Quote:

true or false?

I have not seen it to be true for me, but it sounds like it ought to be true!

I have a personal experience to relate. I once was looking for work for a while, I had gone on numerous interviews without success. ( and I was NOT davening regularly at the time). One day, I davened like a mench before leaving on my interview, and for some 'inexplicable reason' I made such a good impression that I got hired on the spot.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 4:47 pm
and do you keep davening like a mentch to retain your job? Wink

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 5:09 pm
This incident took place quite a few years ago, and in between I bh became a mother, and stayed home, but that's still a good question. In fact it's such a good question that I'm going to find a siddur right now and daven mincha. Very Happy

Truthfully, I find myself more at peace with myself when I daven properly. So there is a degree of success right there.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:22 pm
According to shulchan aruch haRav - women are NOT exempt. and need to daven tefillas amida of shacharis and of mincha.
A woman is exempt because she has to do housework and take care of her kids - but if she goes out to work (or we learned if she is able to leave ehr house altogether) then she needs to daven.

as to answer the OP - I find that on days that I dont daven I have an argument with my husband. every time we start arguing and say to myself "why didn't I daven today!" some days I can even make it up... but sme days its too late! Crying

newmom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:31 pm
If you have time to be on Imamother, you have time to daven!

drrivky

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:38 pm
I agree!

melalyse

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:40 pm
My husband says that women are obligated to daven at least shacharis. And it is okay to make it an abridged version. I can't even imagine not davening, even if it means holding my son while I daven.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics