Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
How much is a shas?

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:15 pm
I plan to give my dh a complete Talmud for our 5th wedding anniversary. How much is that? Are there any alternatives to the Artscroll addition which costs 2k? I do need the ENglish translation.

louche

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:24 pm
Depends on many factors including size, type of paper and type of binding. If you can wait till February and are in NY, the YU sefarim sale carries a number of different ones.

skinny

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:32 pm
I got my hubby for 30 b-day artscroll cost about 1500 in lakewood!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 12:48 am
750, give or take.
(not the translated artscroll sets)

ETA: Oops, just noticed that you wrote you are looking for a translated set. Sorry.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jul 23 2010, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

southernima

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 1:17 am
At the YU Seforim sale and other sales that go on...you can get it between 1300 and 1400 for the daf yomi english/hebrew versions ( I think). sign up for eichlers and artscroll sale emails they have promotions a lot. keep your eye out for other sales too aorund the YU seforim sale (feb) There are usually big sales around thanksgiving and december too. I dont know of any other english shas sets....I sont think any exist. good luck!

mimimom

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 4:29 pm
All translations are not created equal; some are downright incomprensible--or censored in one way or another. I got my future son-in-law the ArtScroll for around $1700. It was a huge expense for me (I'm a single mom w/ no child support) but to me it was worth every penny. I'd be more inclined to get volumes over time and get the ArtScroll rather than settle for an inferior Shas that costs less (do they still have a subscription program? They might). The frustration involved in using a less well done translation/commentary, etc. will probably interfere more in his learning than would be worth the money. Maybe you could put it off a year to be able to save up some more?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 5:02 pm
My DH buys Artscroll Gemarahs as he needs them. It's beneficial because by the time he needs a new one, a new edition is usually out with a better translation.

imaima

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 1:58 pm
Bumping the thread

turns out, non-translated shas is also an option. Should I still go for Artscroll or are there cheaper ones available?

Is it cheaper to buy a set rather then individual books? Dh already has some, but I don't mind doubles as long as the whole price will be smaller.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 2:27 pm
just a thought...you can buy him an ipad for $500 and a talmud app for about $3.

He won't be able to use it on shabbos but he can carry it in 1 small bag.

we got for this for my father and I think he can even listen to a daf yomi talmud shuir on it.

imaima

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 3:05 pm
Raisin wrote:
just a thought...you can buy him an ipad for $500 and a talmud app for about $3.

He won't be able to use it on shabbos but he can carry it in 1 small bag.

we got for this for my father and I think he can even listen to a daf yomi talmud shuir on it.

great idea! he already has an ereader. Now I need to find ask - what if he already has the shas on it?!?! LOL

But what do I buy to fill up the bookcases? Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars