Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How do you make farfel?

lollypop8

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 10:48 am
Anyone know how to make it so it tastes as good as the farfel from a hiemshe takeout? (no soup mix plz)

mosma

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 10:55 am
the best way is to buy the pre-seasoned one (gold and green label) bec the taste of that is great.
otherwise you'll have to do a little trial and error with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

but in terms of cooking it, I fry it a little in oil, then I add boiling water to cover, cover it, shut the fire, and let it sit and absorb the water. if you don't have boiling water you can add regular water, bring to a boil, then shut the fire.
I find this is the best way to get the perfect texture.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 11:21 am
First, I sautee onions and mushrooms.

Then I add the farfel and get it a little brown.

Then, instead of using boiling water, I either use chicken stock (more concentrated flavor) or broth from the chicken soup to cook the farfel in.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 11:27 am
I usually add sauteed onions and salt and pepper.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 12:30 pm
Sauteed onions, chicken soup for liquid, salt, pepper and a touch of sugar. Brown the farfel with the sauteed onions before you add the soup.

If you want really good taste and aren't worried about calories and cholesterol, saute the onions in chicken schmaltz.

STovah

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:02 pm
I use a recipe that I found here on Imamother. Not sure what the order is, or what the exact ingredients are (I don't make it often since I wind up eating all of it), but basically you brown the farfel in a pan w/ oil in the oven and add spices to it, and bake it with water in the oven.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:23 pm
This is easy yummy and foolproof
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....arfel

lovely1

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I definitely agree. Since you posted this recipe the first time, I started making it this way, and never went back to cooking it.

STovah

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Yes! This is the one I use.

Pamela

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 9:06 am
I toast my farfel in hot oil with pepper, salt, garlic powder, paprika and a dash of sugar. I add water to cover bring to a boil, cover and shut flame. I let it sit for a couple of hours. Yum!!!

I think I'll try the imamother recipe for a change this week. Sounds delicious and a pot less on the stove ;-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes