Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Fast Fordward by Scientific Learining anyone try it?

amother

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 8:46 pm
Is anyone familiar with the program? Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the money?

Thanks.

Barbara

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 9:51 pm
Do you mean Fast ForWord Language?

Yes, we used it. IMNSHO, it changed DS' life forever. He still has issues, but not like he used to have. It was worth every penny to us. I should mention that DS hated it. He did it about 7 years ago, and to this day, if you want to get to him, all you have to do is say "abba, adda" Trust me, if you do the program, you'll know why.

AFAIK, it must be done through a licensed therapist. We worked with a therapist, but did the program at home, which worked for us. But if you have other kids at home, I strongly recommend doing it at the therapist's office, as your child will need quiet.

I also recommend that you join the Auditory Processing group on yahoo groups. There are frequent discussions of Fast ForWord, as well as other therapies and interventions.

Good luck.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 11:30 pm
Barbara isn't this a program done at home over the computer? Is this only good for auditory processing?

Barbara

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Barbara isn't this a program done at home over the computer? Is this only good for auditory processing?

The protocol may have changed over the years, but AIUI, and as Scientific Learning's site seems to indicate, it can only be purchased and evaluated through a licensed provider. You can self-administer at home, but everything is then submitted to the therapist.

Fast ForWord can help with non-APD problems, but you really do need to talk to a provider about whether or not it is appropriate for your child.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 11:59 pm
New Amother here.

What is the approximate cost of the program?

I was thinking of trying it out for my son who has difficulty with focusing.

noosheen

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 5:59 am
I read about this program I think in one chapter of "the brain that changes itself" for autistic spectrum. is it available in canada?

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 8:13 am
I never did it but I thought about it. There are a lot of auditory processing programs out there and FastForword is one of the more recommended ones.

I got their price list recently but also a more recent email telling me that their prices have gone a bit lower. You have to email them to get a price quote. They have different amounts depending on how many months you plan on doing it.

And yes, AFAIK, it's done over the computer. At least from Gemm Learning it is: http://www.gemmlearning.com/Gfastforward.php

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:24 am
That's what I am wondering. It seems from asking around that the program is geared towards auditory processing but for some reason they are now marketing the program for attention issues which is not what hte program is as far as I know.

gryp

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 9:23 am
If you're looking for resolving attention issues, check out: Play Attention. Google it for the site, it sounds pretty neat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children