Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Thank you for firing me by phone
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 8:26 am
Thank you, sarahhd! I'm going in today to clear out the desk (not MY desk anymore) & get my reference letter (which I composed) signed. I'm taking this info with me to tell him I'm applying & he'd better not screw it up. Of course, at the end of the day I have no control over it.

ROFL, I can do pretty much anything. I was an Executive Personal Assistant & dealt with government agencies, politicians, Federal Govt Employees (I used my considerable skills to "shmooze" which worked...this was less than 2 weeks ago!!) I have EXCELLENT communication skills (oral & written), strong computer skills, I'm educated, professional, & can multi-task. I was very successful for this organization even though I knew nothing about the field when I was hired.

I thought I'd feel better today. I actually feel worse now that it has sunken in. Very tired, I didn't sleep too well. Time for a shower & a coffee before I brace myself to face my former colleagues. I'm not sure if I was the only one fired (my DH says "let go/downsized" is better) but I guess I'll soon find out.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 2:07 pm
OP UPDATE!

So I went in to collect my things & my letter of reference. The others were totally shocked...they had no idea! I was actually upset, very much unlike how I feel now, which is positive & looking forward.

So here's the thing. He begins by asking me what I want. DUH!!!! Rolling Eyes I said I want my job back. Once he recovered from that he discussed $. I told him I want 2 weeks severance & he said that might be difficult to get. I said the Board owes me THAT much (on top of overtime & the 2 weeks I work in arrears which I will def get, os so he says.)

Does anyone know if legally they have to give me severance as I was let go yesterday effective immediately, no notice?(forget mentchlechkeit & Halacha, I'm not sure these guys follow the same Torah I do)

I feel there has been some closure but obviously I'm still worried. I would feel a lot better if I knew I was getting severance.

Thanks again for all your support. as soon as I get another job you'll be the first to know. Very Happy

imamiri

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 9:21 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
You should definitely call the unemployment office. It's best to check it out 100% and make sure you're definitely getting what you deserve.

^^This.

I'm so sorry, OP. Sad

ROFL

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:20 am
severance is not something he has to legally give you -- but you can collect unemployment-- for a new job try the OU and young Israel I think they have job boards.

jelly belly

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:31 am
The application for unemployment is not that complicated, so its worth filling out in case you do get benefits. Just do it online. I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying you are definitely eligible, though. The way they determine eligibility, as sarahd posted, is a bit complex. I worked at one nicely paying job for 10 months and I missed out on unemployment because of literally a few dollars that I fell short on.

Regarding severance- they are not legally required to give anything, unless it was in your signed contract.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 12:17 pm
I was just 'let go' from my job as well. It took me five minutes to apply for unemployment online so its definitely kidai. I am in PA so it may be a bit different but it can't hurt. I know my employer isn't obligated to pay me two weeks severance. I was kind of expecting it but basically they called me into the office and said pack your bags now don't even bother finishing the day. Good luck!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
I was just 'let go' from my job as well. It took me five minutes to apply for unemployment online so its definitely kidai. I am in PA so it may be a bit different but it can't hurt. I know my employer isn't obligated to pay me two weeks severance. I was kind of expecting it but basically they called me into the office and said pack your bags now don't even bother finishing the day. Good luck!

UGH, that's horrible. Even worse than my story. So sorry, amother. We can commiserate together. Feeling beat up Hug ROFL, you're right, I'm not legally entitled to severance, but my ex-boss called me to tell me he negotiated not 2 weeks (which is what I asked for), but 6!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy So B"H I will get 3 months salary. That will certainly help until I get another job. I'm definitely upbeat. We will both get better jobs very soon IY"H.

Please post your Jewish name so I can say tehillim for you. I will have you in mind when I bentch licht.

good shabbos everyone!

Isher

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 1:55 pm
[quote="amother"] but my ex-boss called me to tell me he negotiated not 2 weeks (which is what I asked for), but 6!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy So B"H I will get 3 months salary. That will certainly help until I get another job. I'm definitely upbeat. We will both get better jobs very soon IY"H.

[quote]

So sorry to hear about your situation but you really struck a great deal with 6 weeks severance, especially that you only worked 10 months on the job. Where my dh works you're eligible for 1 week severance per year that you worked. So 6 weeks would be gotten after working there 6 years.

ROFL

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 8:40 pm
I am so happy for you ! May you have an even better next job !

amother

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 11:59 pm
I didn't strike a deal, my ex-boss went to bat for me & even though I asked for 2 weeks pay he got them to pay me 6 weeks. that was very kind & generous & I really need it so he was a real mentsch. More than the money is knowing I did do a good job (as he said) or he wouldn't have fought for me. So all things considered I'm moving on, sending out my resume and I know something will show up. I got this job, I'll get another. I"m still very upbeat, had a great Shabbos and thanked G-d again for all His blessings.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 12:13 am
OP I worked at a job in NY for 3 months and I was eligible for unemployment after they laid me and many other people off due to budget cuts. Its now almost 2 years later and I'm still getting unemployment every week and I think they just extended it another year! I was so upset when it first happened but in a way its been a blessing because I have been a SAHM mom since it happened and I'm getting paid to raise my kids Smile Its not a ton of money but its something. Hatzlacha!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics