Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yitzchak/ Yitzchok and Yisrael/ Yisroel

mothergoose77

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 9:56 am
Hi all

my son, PG will be bris on Friday, and his middle names will be Yisrael Yitzchak... or Yisroel Yitzchok!! I'm not very clued up on Hebrew spelling, but the hebrew vowel in each is the same, but some how Yisroel looks right (with an 'O') but I've never seen YitzchOk - only YitzchAk!

can anyone advise me of the cultural implications/ meanings of using either/ a combination of these!! would YisrOel YitzchAk just be wrong?? my husband said using an O is the ashkenazi way... so what's using an A?? sephardic? we're ashkenizi, MO zionist... I'm quite modern and not sure about the O!

many thanks to anyone who can shed light/ give advice!

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:03 am
Have you ever heard a ba'al koreh call Avraham Avinu's son YitzchOk? I haven't.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:05 am
we use an A

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:08 am
Marion wrote:

There are certainly those who say Avrum, Yitzchok, etc during davening at shul.

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:34 am
Ruchel wrote:
Marion wrote:

There are certainly those who say Avrum, Yitzchok, etc during davening at shul.

Not during davening, in kriat haTorah.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 12:10 pm
mothergoose77 wrote:
Hi all

my son, PG will be bris on Friday, and his middle names will be Yisrael Yitzchak... or Yisroel Yitzchok!! I'm not very clued up on Hebrew spelling, but the hebrew vowel in each is the same, but some how Yisroel looks right (with an 'O') but I've never seen YitzchOk - only YitzchAk!

can anyone advise me of the cultural implications/ meanings of using either/ a combination of these!! would YisrOel YitzchAk just be wrong?? my husband said using an O is the ashkenazi way... so what's using an A?? sephardic? we're ashkenizi, MO zionist... I'm quite modern and not sure about the O!

many thanks to anyone who can shed light/ give advice!
In such circles, I have only seen such a name be written as YisrAel YitzchAk, not with the O.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 12:14 pm
It really doesn't matter what circle your in IMO, it's only spelling not pronounciation. I think you just have to visually like the look of how it's spelled. I did Yitzchok, but now 9 years later I regret it, I think Yitzchak looks better.

mothergoose77

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 4:27 pm
wow... I thought the answers would be much more varied than this (in that I didn't think there'd be much consensus) but this is incredibly useful! I agree - I've never seen yitzchOk, which made me less inclined to go for yisrOel too. thank you everyone for the very helpful feedback :-)

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 7:27 pm
This caught my eye because my son is Yitzchok Yisroel! Spelled as such. This was the source of a big argument between me and my husband where I wanted YitzchAk YisrAel, but as you see, he won. To this day I do not like either name spelled with an O but as they say, marriage takes compromise. For my second son Elazar I got to pick the A (my husband wanted O, as in Elozor...ewww)

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 7:31 pm
I'm the amother with the son Yitzchok Yisroel, above. For what it's worth, we have lots of this name in the family and everyone spells it with an O. But if you have a choice, stay far away from Os!

maze

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 7:34 pm
I would spell both with an a

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 7:54 pm
The reason yitzchok is considered ashkenazi is because the vowel used under the "chet"/ ch sound is a kamatz, which in ashkenazi phonology is pronounced as an "o" as in "oven", hence the spelling "yitzchok" Modern hebrew pronounces the kamatz as an "a" as in "ahhh", hence the yitzchak spelling.

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 7:59 pm
same for yisroel/yisrael, where the kamatz is used under the raish, uhh sound vs. ahh sound. As you describe yourself mo, zionist, generally the 'a' spelling would be more typical....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names