Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Small cholent big pot?

lamplighter

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 8:58 pm
I have a large size crock pot that I got as a gift.
I've messed up cholent the 4 times I actually ever tried but now that we're home basically every week, cholent seems like the way to go (I'm also traditional like that).
Can I make a small cholent (for the 2 of us) in a large crock pot? How much cholent do I need to make so it doesn't burn or is it just dependent on how much water I add?

Any tips or advice so I get it right this time?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 9:28 pm
it will probably burn, if it doesnt fill up a certain amount of the pot

kallah

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 9:32 pm
You can get a small oven safe dish that fits in your crockpot and make the cholent in that. That way the cholent is small enough, but it doesn't burn like it would in the big crockpot.

MGmom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 9:34 pm
it most likely wont work! Sad I have quite a small one but when I make too little it dries out.. try what pp suggested... some kinda insert maybe that will do! Heart appetite and good luck

curlgirl

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 1:32 am
Try a crockpot liner.

Put your cholent in there, and fill the pot all around the bag with water.

(Not too much water because it'll go into the bag).

Ideas to fill your crockpot: A cooking bag of rice/barley/wheat berries (make holes in bag), a potato kugel plopped on top, kishka...

Enjoy!

lizard8

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 3:49 am
ditto to curgirl. Putting water in between the cholent bag and the crockpot will help keep it from burning.

How much do you make for 2 people? Just enough? I recommend adding a little more cholent.
Technically, I make serving for 4 when I make it just for us. Dh eats cholent erev shabbos and sometimes Friday night. I don't have measurements to give you, I just pour.

anonymom

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 10:22 pm
I make a big pot of chulent minus the potatoes. I divide it into several disposeable aluminum pans. Each week I take out one and put it inside the crockpot and add potatoes. Simple Friday. Simple cleanup after
shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note