Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Applying for medicaid

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 5:24 pm
Today was my ultrasound and when we went to the appointment discovered all sorts of insurance problems. My insurance is thru work and terrible, and had to reschedule the appointment.
The woman who does finances at the hospital department was really nice. it was the hospital's fault that they didnt get my insurances preaproval and she felt really bad. we talked because she suggested that I just do the ultrasound anyway, I said we cant afford it, and she took out a calculator and recommended that I apply for medicaid. She thinks we are right below the cutoff. I don't know anything about medicaid and it's not the kind of thing I ever thought I would use.
Should I apply? Is it terrible? It makes me really nervous, like I did something wrong. And for those of you who have used or applied for medicaid, is there anything I should know? She gave me a form and told me to just bring my birth certificate and pretty much that's it. Seems to me like there should be more, I'm trying to look it up right now. Don't live in NY/NJ if it makes a difference.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:12 am
bump

zipporah

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:24 am
Before that step (if the ultrasound is the only reason you're applying) have you checked with your insurance company about the requirements for an ultrasound? If you can get one by following the rules at a reasonable copayment, that's probably best. Government aid is funded by actual people and is a limited resource, so if you really do have access to care it's not fair to reduce Medicaid coverage availability to those who have nothing, IMO.

As a note (and I say this as a former health insurance customer service representative), always check with your insurance company before any new procedure. Call and make sure that your service has been preauthorized, even if it is someone else's responsibility. Even if it's not your fault, your time is valuable.

chatz

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 6:41 pm
.. But if you need it, and your insurance doesn't cover it, and you're eligible for medicaid (fully on the books) - that's why it's there! They specifically broaden the eligibility guidelines for pregnant women because they want them (us) to get optimum care.

And it's possible your regular insurance will still cover the majority of your bills while medicaid will cover what they don't. Not so sure how these things work (primary, secondary insurances) - insurance policies make my head spin.

The big stigma/negative feelings towards medicaid and those using it is when people lie to get it. But if you're eligible (google your state medicaid or call the hospital to find rates), it's there for a reason.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:29 pm
Why not apply just be honest if you are eligible then great it's free insurance and you don't pay out of pocket for anything except maybe some meds but very little. You might also qualify for food and wic as well. The programs are there for people that work to help them out. Nothing to be worried about. I was also afraid to apply but I did and I am happy knowing that I did somehting to help my family.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 10:31 pm
wanted tp say I ended up using medicaid and only wish I applied sooner!

we ended up paying over $800 for the pregnancy, plus the $110 a month I paid for insurance thru work, which paid for most of things. for the rest it was great to have medicaid and not have to pay, and I wish we had done it sooner.

everything was completely on the books and we were 100% honest, and now we have b'h a beautiful baby!

thank you for the advice!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 10:39 pm
I'm glad things worked out for you! I also applied for Medicaid when I got pregnant and was hit with staggering medical expenses. Where I live, it is pretty close to impossible to get good coverage for pregnancy without paying an exorbitant amount. I am so appreciative for the Medicaid system, which allows us to access quality care without going into debt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics