Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where is the best place to buy a computer/laptop in Israel?

cityofgold

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 2:54 am
Where's the best place to buy a computer/laptop in Israel (though preferably in Ym)?
And are they more expensive here than in the states?
Thanks!

thankyou

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 2:59 am
Yes I believe its more expensive in Israel- I would order from the states if you have someone who can bring it for you.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 3:11 am
The cheapest is Ivory (they have a website with their branches) and they give good technical after-sales service (at least some of the branches have an on-site repair lab), but they don't really help you - you need to get (if you don't know yourself) someone to help you work out exactly what you need before you go there.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 3:57 am
thankyou wrote:
Yes I believe its more expensive in Israel- I would order from the states if you have someone who can bring it for you.
not always true.
I agree with shalhevet, the service from Ivory was great.
OP, I would advise you to do your research as to what exactly you need, then call Ivory to get a quote (the price I paid in the store turned out to be 50 shekels cheaper that the one published on their website). Also look online to compare with international prices.
My DH travels a lot for business, and when he needed a laptop looked at stores in the UK, US and Israel. Ivory turned out to be the best for the model we needed.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:08 am
I bought my latest laptop from Ivory - 12 payments, I think.

lst

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:56 am
Ivory is very good.
Another thing to keep in mind- if you bring one in from the States, technically you have to declare it at customs. We've done this twice, and both times I guess the guy we saw was in a good mood, because we didn't have to pay VAT.

cityofgold

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:53 am
Thank you so much for all the feedback. I'll have to look into Ivory.
Even if it was a little more expensive than in the US, I'd probably get it here because I don't have a way to get it here. If it was way more expensive, I'd work it out somehow. But I'd much rather get it here.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 6:14 am
What I have been hearing about Ivory is that they're prices are good but quality is not always amazing and tech support and costumer service is a big problem.

My DH dabbles in computer sales and as a computer technician (he was a full time tech a few years back while in law school). Anyhow, he doesn't recommend buying from ivory unless you understand your computers, understand exactly what you are getting and know what to do if you have a problem later on.

He says that buying laptops from abroad is not always a good idea because what you might save on the computer you may end up spending on not having a warranty (some makers do give intl warranties though).
I know he recommends checking coupon sites and zap.co.il to find good deals.

cityofgold

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 11:52 am
I am not a good coupon-site checker. Does your husband recommend any other computer stores? I will do my research before, so Ivory may not be an issue for me, but I would like ot know if you have other suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions