Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Binghamton, NY

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 9:56 pm
Does anyone know anything about it? I maybe moving there for work and I can't find any info on line. Are there Jewish schools even? I found some kosher restaurants and a Chabbad house but that's it. Any info is so appreciated.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 10:12 pm
http://jewishbinghamton.info/
sorry dont know anything else

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 10:27 pm
I was a student there about 7 yrs ago. there was a hilel academy which is the closest thing to a frum education there is for the kids there. it is only for primary school. the chabad house is in vestal which is the nicest of the suburbs in binghamton. I think the orth. shul is in binghamton itself. be careful what neighborhoods you look at in binghamton as there is a good side of town and a very nasty side of town. I don't know what kosher things are there now, when I was a student there was nothing. the slonim family is the chabad family there and they have done great work with the students. its a great opportunity to help mekarev the students since many of them are jewish.

shanie5

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 10:30 pm
I'm pretty sure there is a jewish school there. But not sure what grade it goes up to or how good it is.
The chabad there are very nice, but I know they send their kids away for school around 5th grade.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 6:35 am
We lived in Binghamton for 2 years. My husband was the rav of the Orthodox shul there. Currently, we live in PA and he does kiruv (not Chabad) at the university in Binghamton.

It was a very nice community. We really miss living there.

The school is k-8. It was very small when we were there. I believe now it only has 35 kids. It is a community school, so there are families from all different Jewish backgrounds. The JCC runs a very nice preschool and daycare program.

There weren't too many young, frum families there, which made it a bit difficult. The older community members were very nice, but I believe many of those families have since retired and moved away. Everyone is friendly and you would be welcomed with open arms!

The University has a kosher cafeteria. My husband is in charge of the hasgacha for a Vegan restaurant on the campus and the JCC.

The Chabad house is on the other side of town from the where the shul is It's a long walk, I think 3 or 4 miles. We have a house for Shabbos also close to the university, a few houses down from Chabad. My husband has made the walk before, and it takes a while!

There is an eruv and a mikvah.

There are great parks, a discovery center, and a small zoo. There is a great midwife group and a great pediatrician (we still use the ped for our kids because he is amazing!)

amother

Post Fri, Apr 01 2011, 11:57 am
Previous amother, which pediatrician/midwives do you use? may be moving to Binghamton.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
Previous amother, which pediatrician/midwives do you use? may be moving to Binghamton.

So, for pediatrician: Dr. Renato Abueg. He's amazing! Saved my baby's life 4 years ago. There are 2 other men and 1 woman in the practice who are also very good.

The midwives that I used when living there (the one who I saw and the one who delivered my baby) are no longer with the group. However, one midiwife who I saw for one or two visits is still there...Elaine Rosensweig. She was also good, and a lot of my friends used her and were very happy with her, too. There is a new midiwfe now who I also heard is very good. They midwife group is in the same practice as four doctors, who I have also heard good things about.

Both doctors offices are located at Lourdes Hospital.

Which part of town are you moving to? I can advise you of which parts are better than others! What will be bringing you to Binghamton? Let me know how I can help you! It would be exciting to have another frum familly up there!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 9:34 pm
Just wondering if you ever moved to Binghamton? I have a friend who is frum who lives in Binghamton. She is really lonely and would really like to meet new people!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:02 pm
amother above, I also live in Binghamton. You can email me directly - rchein@jewishbu.com.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:

Amother, did you ever move to Binghamton?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

No, didn't work out.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

No, didn't work out.

Oh, sorry to hear that. We go there for work fairly often. I would have loved to have met you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating