Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Someone who understands yiddish please help me?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 3:13 pm
the other day we were at my auntie's house and my little sister annoyed her and got away with putting something in my auntie's bag without my auntie noticing until she got to work and my auntie said to her on the phone you are not a thief but you are a gonif. they didn't really fall out but I don't understand yiddish at all and was wondering if someone could tell me if that was very rude of her to say or can it be used as a joke/lightheartedly word?

paprika

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 4:26 pm
Gonif doesn't get any "jokier" than thief. It's the same word, translated.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 5:28 pm
The translation for Ganif is thief - גנב.

I'd gather that your aunt might have been somewhat upset, and rightfully so. She had every right to confront your sister and make her aware that what she did was wrong and unacceptable. I don't find her reaction to be rude at all unless she was yelling at her uncontrollably. She probably tried to explain to Lil sis that rummaging in other people's private properties is wrong and it's is like stealing, regardless whether one actually steals stuff or not.

I'd bet auntie didn't tell her outright that she was a "thief". It's possible that Lil sis did not agree with auntie's theory (comparing rummaging to stealing) and therefore protested that since she did not steal she was not a" thief"!!

Your auntie stuck to her principals, so legitimately correct. She wanted to get her message across in the most sensible way possible, and instead of bargaining back and forth with Lil sis, she kinda teased her and jokingly remarked ; "you're not a thief ("of course not!")... you are a gonif"... as if gonif meant something entirely different... get my drift??

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:37 am
My dad used ganef (ganefte on girl) kinda jokingly, for a little clever one who misbehaves a bit ot whatever.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:40 am
Ganav is a thief in Hebrew. Ganoff is a thief in Yiddish. However.....................
Geneivish can be used as "impish" so it can be used as a cutesie word as well. It depends on the context.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 14 2012, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
The translation for Ganif is thief - גנב.

I'd gather that your aunt might have been somewhat upset, and rightfully so. She had every right to confront your sister and make her aware that what she did was wrong and unacceptable. I don't find her reaction to be rude at all unless she was yelling at her uncontrollably. She probably tried to explain to Lil sis that rummaging in other people's private properties is wrong and it's is like stealing, regardless whether one actually steals stuff or not.

I'd bet auntie didn't tell her outright that she was a "thief". It's possible that Lil sis did not agree with auntie's theory (comparing rummaging to stealing) and therefore protested that since she did not steal she was not a" thief"!!

Your auntie stuck to her principals, so legitimately correct. She wanted to get her message across in the most sensible way possible, and instead of bargaining back and forth with Lil sis, she kinda teased her and jokingly remarked ; "you're not a thief ("of course not!")... you are a gonif"... as if gonif meant something entirely different... get my drift??

yeah I understand you, thanks for all the answers
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette