Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Was I wrong to do this , tell me honestly I don't mind?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 6:56 pm
this evening I was getting on the bus and there were a few people in front of me in the line, all getting on. they were all walking past with their passes, but one lady didn't have a pass she was paying with cash for a ticket. however it looked like she didn't realise how much it was for a ticket and was looking in her purse for money, taking like a little longer than usual.
I was behind her as I had a pass I could just walk through. as I walked by I said to her do you want any money?
she said it is ok I have. was it wrong of me to do that? I wanted to give her if she needed, but maybe I should not have said anything so as not to embarrass her in some way?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 6:59 pm
no! you did the absolute right thing. That was very kind of you to ask if the lady needed help....some people would just walk around her and leave her stranded. If everyone acted as you did we would all be better for it.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 7:04 pm
No actually the gesture was really helpful. I think she might have been embarrassed somewhat though. I think you shouldn't really worry about it. And the gesture was really nice. Wink hope I helped

black sheep

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 7:07 pm
I think it was really nice of you to ask. it could have saved her day if she really needed it, and if she doesn't need it she can (and did) just say no thanks. I would have said it was rude if you ignored the situation and didn't do anything.

Liba

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 7:08 pm
I sent my daughter to a store today to buy herring and pumpkin. I gave her 50nis. The last time we bought herring there (not long ago) it was 28nis for the 1 kilo container and the pumpkin was 4.80nis a kilo.

Today the herring was 38.99 for the same container and the pumpkin was 6.99 a kilo. Her purchases ended up being 51.10. I thought I gave her a good cushion, but obviously not good enough!

The man behind her graciously gave her the 1.10nis and my daughter came home happily. It would have been devastating to her to have had to leave either behind, so I am really grateful and happily put the 1.10nis in a pushka in his honor.

I can't see how offering to help someone out when you think they may be stuck could be a bad thing. Your kindness probably made her day. This mans kindness made my daughters day and mine as well.

marshmellow

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 7:25 pm
not at all. that was very kind. and maybe she did have the money she found, but if she didn't, she may have been far from home for all you know, and believe me some bus drivers are not ashamed to ask you to leave the bus if you don't have the exact change. in that situation it would be much much less humiliating for her to have gracefully accepted your kind offer than to plead with the driver to let it slide since she didn't have the money.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jan 06 2012, 12:49 am
Not at all...even if she had the money but couldn't find it she could have said something to that effect..."Oh do you mind? I know it is in here somewhere...I'll bring it back to you when I've found."

A sweet gesture on your part.

shoeboxgirly

Post Fri, Jan 06 2012, 1:48 am
Actually I think its really sweet what you did. Of course some people are pretty sensitive about money and could have taken it not as you intended, but there's nothing more embarrassing than someone either getting kicked off a bus as they're pennies short or having to go down the bus begging for change. (The latter was a regular occurrence in the city I grew up as all buses only take exact change and you weren't allowed to overpay).

persephonefalls

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:56 am
Oh, that's such a tricky situation. You want to be helpful, but you don't want to make someone feel like a charity case. I think you made the right call. It would have been much worse if you hadn't offered, and she couldn't have afforded the bus fare.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette