Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
So how important do you think a two weeks notice is?

sayinghi

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 6:12 pm
we will iyh be relocating to anohter state pretty soon. I have just been offered a job alomost identical to the one I have now at the new location. they want to meet me this week. assuming all goes well and I like the job and get hired. do you thik that I need to wait the two full weeks before making the move ( read: the new place may want me to start asap, while my employer may want me to stay untill he finds someone during these two weeks ( I wouldnt stay longer) )
there are no legal contracts involved with current employer.
what are my moral obligations to the current company that I am employed with?

hadasa

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 7:04 pm
I think it's only decent, yes. If they were to fire you, you'd also appreciate getting some prior notice.

behappysk

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 7:20 pm
Speaking from a boss's point of view, I'd like to have the full 2 weeks notice to give me a chance to find somebody new.

chanahlady

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 7:55 pm
Two weeks is standard and the right thing to do. Yes the other place wants someone immediately, of course. But they always say that. They can wait. Don't leave the prior employer with a bad taste in his mouth, and have him remember you as the person who up and quit on him. Leave on good terms.

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 9:49 pm
As a boss, I expect my employees to give me 3 full weeks’ notice. It's part of our company guidelines. If they do not, they cannot cash in on their sick time or vacation days, benefits get lost automatically. In addition, I'd be really annoyed that I didn’t have time to hire a replacement. It's basic menchlichkeit unless there are extenuating circumstances which don’t allow you to give more time, or a medial issue - but I would take the time to explain that to the boss so there are no hard feelings should you ever want to be employed there in the future. Never burn your bridges; you never know where life will take you..

cm

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:23 am
A good general guideline is to give notice equivalent to your vacation time. Your company HR department may have more specific guidelines for leaving on "good terms." Give as much notice as you can, and if your new job wants you to start earlier, you have two choices (or a combination of both): be honest with your current boss about the situation, and tell your new boss that you are currently employed and want to leave on good terms. The three of you can probably come to an agreement. Since you are relocating, it isn't as if you are being "stolen away" by the new employer.

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 12:58 pm
I'm a little confused: do you mean that you have been offered a job in your new city? And you plan to move there immediately? Or have you been offered a job in the city where you live now?

ElTam

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 5:34 pm
I would always give two weeks notice. You never know when you will need that job for a reference, and leaving someone with no time to hire a replacement is not something they will forget.

Your new employer should respect that you are a professional and that you are giving two week's notice.

mamommommy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 7:31 pm
I absolutely agree with everyone else that it's definitely proper to give the 2 weeks notice. Not only will you leave your old employer with a good impression, but you will also be showing your future employer that you are loyal and ethical.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:17 pm
You do owe your current employer enough time to either train someone, or leave detailed manuals. 2 weeks seem to be minimum time needed for such transfer of responsibility. For future, you also may want to leave in good terms with your current boss/employer, as I assume you will need reference at some point.

Though how much time is needed really depends on negotiation, esp in the absence of legal contracts. Firstly, will your new job in exact field, (ie direct competition)? In such cases, the old employer may want to keep you a bit longer. Esp if you have customers/client-facing positions. Another question is, maybe you can negotiate an early release, but volunteer to be available for short period of time (say a few extra weeks) on as-needed base. (though this may not be practical if you're relocating.)

INSPIREME

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:52 pm
mamommommy wrote:
I absolutely agree with everyone else that it's definitely proper to give the 2 weeks notice. Not only will you leave your old employer with a good impression, but you will also be showing your future employer that you are loyal and ethical.

Yes!

sayinghi

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 6:02 pm
thnaks for all your replies!
looks like I got good advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics