Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interviewing at non jewish firm

sayinghi

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 11:20 pm
at what point if at all do you think I need to mention that I am sabbath observant?
would love to hear your experience. my hours will be untill 5:30 and in the winter on fri that is cutting it too close.
the interveiw is this mon. should I bring up this up then?
wait till im hired?
circumvent the issue?
what have you done?

yummymummy

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 11:28 pm
don't mention anything until you've been hired. your employer is required to provide a reasonable accommodation of your religious observance, so unless you're applying for a job where that would not be possible, you should not mention anything until you start working. you are prepared to make up the hours another time, right?

shoeboxgirly

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 2:09 am
When I accepted my job I mentioned it on the phone when they gave me the offer. I then brought it up again with the resourcing people at my induction.

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 5:37 am
If you live in the US, then there are piles of anti-discrimination laws that protect you. There's no need to talk about religion in the job interview. In the US anyways, it is illegal for the employer to ask you outright, but if you bring it up, then they are allowed to ask questions. Better not to say anything until there's a job offer on the table.

1Life2Live

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 12:20 pm
I didn't mention anything until my first day on the job. It was a little awkward at my current job since I started on a Thursday, but my boss was easy going and ok with it. My last job- I started in the summer, so I had a few months before I had to bring it up.

Both experiences were at large financial companies. They do not want any lawsuits, so they work out something reasonable. My first job I used to make up the time. This job they don't require me to. Depends on your boss.

Good luck!

cm

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 12:56 pm
A potential employer cannot ask you your religion, but if you are not available to work when they need you, you aren't the right applicant - AFAIK that isn't religious discrimination. For example, if you are interviewing for a job operating certain machinery (or serving meals, or seeing patients...) until 5:30 pm, chances are you wouldn't be a good fit. If you are otherwise well-qualified, you could ask if the schedule could be rearranged to accommodate you - you definitely need to arrange this before starting work!

If the work is by nature more flexible, I would go ahead with the application process and bring up the scheduling issues during the negotiation part. Don't open with demands about leaving early and taking extra time off (standard vacation time in my profession doesn't come close to covering YT plus all the days school is closed). Do explain how you intend to work all the hours and get the job done - make sure you come across as a strong worker, not a slacker.

If you work hourly, you may run into problems with working a longer day. At one job my position was changed to "exempt" status so I wouldn't have to be paid overtime for working more than the standard workday! It was fine with me as I was still working the same number of hours per week and doing the same job, and never expected to get overtime pay.

chanahlady

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 5:31 pm
Wait until you get an offer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics