Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Just bought a house, potential boarder to move in before us?

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 9:10 pm
So BARUCH HASHEM we just closed on a house last week. It's in almost turn key condition. We need to do some minimal work in order to move in - we could basically move in now but the shower heads are not working in either of our bathrooms.

We were planning on taking a boarder in June, someone we know who is finishing up Stern and is planning on working while she applies to grad programs. We figured this would give us enough time to settle in, unpack, deal with what ever the issues are that crop up with the house.

HOWEVER, a young woman we know (28), who recently got engaged is suddenly in the need for a place to live. Basically she told her apt mate that she was engaged and getting married in June and the aptmate flipped out and said she was going to start showing the bedroom immediately. The Kallah is actually a little concerned for her own personal safety at this point - she says the aptmate is screaming at her at every opportunity. Basically she needs to move NOW.

While ideally, the kallah could go into the apt she will be living in after marriage, they've already signed a lease for a place their friends are currently renting, and the friends are not leaving until June 1. So that's not a solution.

The kallah was ALREADY planning on moving in with us for Pesach, to get a sense of how to really make Lubavitch Pesach.

So we offered that she could board by us in our new house for the rock bottom price of $300/month. She'll have her own room, share a bathroom with my girls, and she'll have some privacy and sanity. This money will help us while we do the renovations, and at such a low price, it's really hachnosis kallah also. I also know that since she's getting married if things don't work out personality wise it's not a long term situation.

We are not planning on moving in until 3/15. She might need to move in as early as 3/1.

I can see the plusses and minuses of her living there (The house is not sitting empty, she is another pair of eyes, she will have to live there while we do some minimal work on the house, she's there in our house and can do what she likes, etc).

I'm curious to hear what the hive mind thinks of this.

ROFL

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 9:16 pm
I see they pluses of her moving in. But I would verify what happened with her apartment rate? It seems weird that the apartment mate would freak out that she got engaged. How well do you know ths girl ?

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 9:29 pm
ROFL wrote:
I see they pluses of her moving in. But I would verify what happened with her apartment rate? It seems weird that the apartment mate would freak out that she got engaged. How well do you know ths girl ?

I've known her for about 18 months. She's stable, has a good job, and more importantly her rabbi and rebbetzin are old friends of mine.

I wouldn't put it past the apt mate from being psycho - there's no shortage of mentally unstable people in the world - and the apt mate has done some pretty anti-social stuff in the past so it's def possible. It could also be the kallah is more sensitive now that she's engaged. Not really sure, but she is definitely freaked out.

ROFL

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 9:42 pm
You know her well enough so let her move in with you Smile is she a new BT ? Why does she have to learn about a Lubavitcher pesach?

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 10:22 pm
ROFL wrote:
You know her well enough so let her move in with you Smile is she a new BT ? Why does she have to learn about a Lubavitcher pesach?

Her pesach plans have always been last minute and since she's getting married and to a guy who is more shtark then her she wants to be with a family and "see how it's done" in the trenches with all the chumros.

She was supposed to stay with us last year but her plans changed and she wound up staying in her apt.

grace413

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 10:29 pm
Mazel Tov on the house.

Will workmen be coming in while she is there alone? Will she be comfortable with that? Will you/DH be popping in on an irregular basis during those 2 weeks?

I think it's OK.

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 10:37 pm
grace413 wrote:
Mazel Tov on the house.

Will workmen be coming in while she is there alone? Will she be comfortable with that? Will you/DH be popping in on an irregular basis during those 2 weeks?

I think it's OK.

There is an upstairs tenant who is "around".

My DH and workmen will be in and out during the day time, but she has 1 full time and 1 part time job, so she's basically only sleeping there, and being there for shabbos. We are discussing details tomm.

I'm just deciding if we should do something in writing or not...

amother

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 10:59 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
grace413 wrote:
Mazel Tov on the house.

I think it's OK.

There is an upstairs tenant who is "around".

My DH and workmen will be in and out during the day time, but she has 1 full time and 1 part time job, so she's basically only sleeping there, and being there for shabbos. We are discussing details tomm.

I'm just deciding if we should do something in writing or not...

Definitely put something in writing. Things have happened that we'd never dream someone we know would do, so now we're always suspicious. You probably won't need it, but just in case, you should have some sort of contract or something she signs.
hatzlacha

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 11:08 pm
Mazol Tov. It sounds like you decided the Kallah can stay. The story of her roommate also sounds very strange to me. It sounds implausible; and there is much more to the story. A antisocial roommate freaking out simply because her roommate got engaged to the point that the non-antisocial roommate fears for her personal safety sounds phoney.

What did you have in mind for the agreement? I think the issues are more than she will pay you ontime. I think on another thread you mentioned you entertain frequently. Maybe a strange young lady living for months in your private space won't bother you. My experience is people who have strange reacting people around them cause these strange reactions in others. Hatzloucha.

ROFL

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 12:48 am
You can out together a lease document so that everyone knows what the expectations are. Since she is "sharing " your house how will you deal with things like food, chores, shower time, etc?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 5:12 am
Also, this is terrible to think about but add a move out date and/or change the rate of renting once her wedding comes around. IOW, what if the wedding is called off CH"V? The week before a wedding we received an announcement that the wedding was off. It's terrible (IMO better than starting a bad marriage) but they then need a place to live. The kallah I know had already given up her apt. and rented the new one for her to be dh that never was. Cover yourself.

nyer1

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 5:25 am
I think as long as you set rules and expectations, sign some sort of contract and are not totally completely absent from the situation, there isn't a problem.

bnm

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 5:52 am
congrats on buying a house.

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:42 am
Thanks all for all the good points. I appreciate it! And thanks for the congratulations!

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 11:24 am
I think its going to work out fine. I don't know her well but she seems really sweet.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 11:56 am
I don't see why it would be a problem if you know her and you trust her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics