Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Dallas/Ft-Wth area moyel - special requriement

amother

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 6:46 pm
hello, looking for reliable moyel to do bris in dallas / ft-worth area who does suction using straw.
Any help appreciated.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 3:19 pm
anyone?

mamaleh

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 4:22 pm
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, could you please explain. I do know a number of people who live(d) in Dallas, if I understand what you are looking for I could ask them. (one of them is a Moyel)

amother

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 4:27 pm
Can't answer op cuz don't know the area, but to mamaleh:
I think op is referring to a particular part of the bris where the mohel sucks the blood without swallowing it. Traditionally it's done directly with the mouth, but many mohelim today perform the ritual with a straw to minimize infection.

Ah, one of the joys of being on the women's side.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:14 pm
hi, thanks - yes I am referring to the sucking of the blood without a barrier or a straw or anything.

My DH doesn't want to ask his rabbi about this because he's afraid of his reaction, I.e. that he will say it's this way or no way. I told him not to worry (I am sure a rabbi would be sensitive to this...?), but basically in the particular community we affiliate with, this is done the "traditional" way (no exceptions?)

Personally I could deal with this, but I find it very hard to overcome the fact that the moyel will put his mouth "there" .... under whatever pretext. And then secondarily - the (small) risk of infection.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this (we've only had girls :-))?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 6:50 am
I am due in less than 3 weeks so any advice would be appreciated!

Anyway, we have read the metziza section in "bris milah secrets" by dovid meisel and it does go into a lot of detail why it's essential - - but the one bit it does not acknowledge are the very real infection risks of herpes to the child (and the moyel for that matter). Nor does the book mention the (alleged ) deaths linked to the practice.

So, if anyone knows how to handle rabbis in this regard, I'd be so grateful!!!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 7:40 am
You can try this:

http://www.travelingmohel.com/

We have used him multiple times and were very pleased. He does metzitza with a straw.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:17 am
hi, thanks for the information !

I guess what we really need is help regarding how we should approach this with our shul. The worry is that if we "import" a YU moyel that this will cause a problem with our relationship with the community here. sorry for being so confused, we are not experts in this field Smile

Personally speaking I cannot get past the thought of someone - anyone - having oral "contact" with my 8-day old son.

My DH's rationalization of this surprises me; his only major block (also mine too) is the risk of herpes/infection.

For where we are today with our progress regarding our observence, these two areas are pretty big and I very hard for us.

middy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:25 am
Sometimes the father of the baby does the metzitza.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:41 am
Love him to bits, but he is not very good with tools and sharp implements!

yikes!!!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 6:46 pm
so any ideas how to approach tactfully local rabbaim about this? we dont want to do it, but they are pretty set in there ways and we dont want to end up being isolated or worse? thx

LisaS

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 5:20 am
I don't entirely understand the question. I assume R' Shawel does not use the method you prefer. Do you have a Rav in Dallas that you are comfortable with? I don't see why the Rav shouldn't be able to help you work out this issue. Believe me, most of the rabbanim there have dealt with many more complex and sensitive issues than bris shitot. Not to minimize your issue, especially as I admit that I don't understand it. Does every single person in the entire frum community use one method and you are trying to use another? Sounds unlikely. I bet the Rav of the shul you attend would know.

May everything go smoothly!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 5:55 am
amother wrote:
Love him to bits, but he is not very good with tools and sharp implements!

yikes!!!
Metzitza does not involve any thing sharp. It's the sucking -- the part you're uncomfortable with being done orally.

Believe me, I am sure there are MANY people in Dallas who don't do metzitza b'peh.

You know what? I am going to email my sister in law there and see what she has to say Smile

amother

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 9:33 am
the HY, thank you for any feedback you can get from your sister in law!

Basically if there's anyway we can do it with the tube it would be preferred! (but also without upsetting folks in the community as well)

thank you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 9:58 am
I can't understand why the community should know/care what you choose to do?

This is what she wrote:
"Our mohel, Rabbi Shawel, was very good. Don't know his practices, but shouldn't be hard to find out. Would you like me to get his contact information? "

1Life2Live

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 10:16 am
can't you just call the mohels in the area and ask if they'd do it with a straw? I really think that this is one area that doesn't get discussed... Glad they don't ask this for shidduchim. LOL

Happy 2B

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 11:06 am
don't know if you have an answer yet. if you still need help I can call Rabbi Feigenbaum for you and just ask him if he knows. He knows me.

PM me if you still need help finding one.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 7:27 am
I would just call Rabbi Feigenbaum and ask- he's not going to tell anyone that you asked! And I'm sure he would know, and would be able to help you to make inquiries.
As for people getting upset though, I can't say I know of anyone that gets emotionally invested in the preferred bris methods of other people..you can just say the mohel you brought in is an old friend of your husbands or something.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 8:21 am
She left a message for Rabbi Shawel. I'll let you know if/when he responds.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 8:39 am
Info I received:
Mohel only does metzitza b'peh if specifically requested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics