Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
W

ny21

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 12:54 pm
using words we should not use

Last edited by ny21 on Fri, May 18 2012, 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total

chen

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 1:36 pm
Like many terms, it starts out being neutral but after being used as a pejorative often enough it becomes a pejorative. If one wishes to be neutral one usually uses the term Oomos Ho-Olom (Nations of the World) or something similar. Yes, technically the dictionary translation of "[gentile]" is "nation", but when we call someone a [gentile] it is often, if not always, intended to be at least mildly derogatory.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 2:02 pm
I grew up that it was not nice to use the term non jewish. we used the word non jewish.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 3:17 pm
I don't like it either. It may MEAN "nation" (technically we are a "[gentile] kadosh") but I don't think I've ever heard it used in a way that WASN'T derogatory. Say gentile or non-Jew, but "[gentile]" isn't nice.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 3:25 pm
There are plenty of usages for the term "[gentile]" or "non jewish" that are neutral.

But this is going the road of the racist discussion <sigh>, so I think I'll step out for now...

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 3:42 pm
I guess that it is how you use it and how you are used to it being used.

my husband is from south africa and will use words for black ppl that you and I would never in a million years used but he uses them and he does not mean them in a derogetory way, he is just used to them.

batya_d

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I guess that it is how you use it and how you are used to it being used.

my husband is from south africa and will use words for black ppl that you and I would never in a million years used but he uses them and he does not mean them in a derogetory way, he is just used to them.

Hmmm, this conversation sounds familiar!! Wink

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:06 pm
Do you like the word Gentile?

That's what Mormons call non Mormons. It's not a value judgement.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:11 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I grew up that it was not nice to use the term non jewish. we used the word non jewish.

Ditto.. !!

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 4:11 pm
I agree that it's a neutral term in Hebrew/Yiddish.

Today, it's really a matter of how it's used, and who is using it. If I'm speaking to someone in English, it makes sense to use English words (ie. non-Jew). If "[gentile]" is used in that context, it may seem out of place and like a mildly perjorative term. [I'm thinking of certain rude & crude entertainer who happen to be very secular Jews and who only use English unless using Yiddish to be mildly offensive without breaking broadcasting guidelines]. I've also seen it used to make a subtly different point than the term "non-Jew" would - it emphasizes that one is speaking from a Jewish POV and that the other person isn't. However, if someone usually speaks in Hebrew or Yiddish, or tends to use lots of Hebrew or Yiddish terms when speaking in English (which seems like it would describe much of this board), then it may not be.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 4:58 pm
I don't use "[gentile]" around non jews LOL

ny21

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:20 pm
I find it extremely offensive

Last edited by ny21 on Fri, May 18 2012, 10:25 am; edited 3 times in total

bandcm

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 5:47 pm
SaraG wrote:
Do you like the word Gentile?

That's what Mormons call non Mormons. It's not a value judgement.

The Amish call non-Amish Gentiles too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:05 am
and did you know that the word marono is considered dirogetory to such ppl? there is a hebrew word that I forgot that they do not find so offensive.

chen

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
and did you know that the word marono is considered dirogetory to such ppl? there is a hebrew word that I forgot that they do not find so offensive.

anusim.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:46 am
Yes, sure I knew that.

Marrano means pig.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics