Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Davening on the bus
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 30 2006, 2:46 pm
Kmelion wrote:
aussiegal wrote:
In your opinion is it better to daven on the bus or not daven at all (aside from brachos). I travel to work by bus. It takes an hour, so I have plenty of time I have lately been davening on the bus - sitting for all of it, including shemona esrai. Sometimes I think ppl look at me wierdly. Is there a halachik problem? Is it better not to daven? I cannot get up any earlier in order to daven.

Wait... this is ISrael... I don't think I've ever been on a Jerusalem bus and NOT have someone davening or saying Tehillim on it.

im with kemilion here. when I lived in Yerushaliyim I would see ppl davening or saying tehillim almost all of the time.

I do have to say though that once traveling from nj to ny I had to daven b/c I had not had time before I left the house and I definitely got funny looks. but I also know that there is a train somewhere, I read about it, that has a minyan every single morning. I think that they even have a torah scroll and they learn afterwards. they were in the paper in america somewhere. I dont remember where it was.

aussiegal

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 10:57 am
[quote="Just curious though, why it wouldn't be possible to avoid talking to someone till you get to your empty room/corner. I guess you're pretty popular! Very Happy (But couldn't you just say uh,uh, or motion "wait" with your finger, perhaps pointing inside your open pocket siddur? Unless the inhabitants of your work environment don't understand these things? Wink[/quote]

when I get to work I have to ask for a key to my room from the office. Also, I have to walk a block from the bus stop. yes - there are times I don't talk to anybody (besides asking for the key, which technically I could do after I daven), but other times the security guard starts a conversation with me, I bump into a teacher etc. etc.

Just on an aside, my mother once davened half of davening on shabbbos morning and then went to shul. While walking there ( she couldnt talk coz in middle of davening) she met an old neighbor of ours, and she basically nodded to her and indicated she couldn't talk right now. Our old lady neighbour then went around telling everyone: Mrs ____ is so religious, she doens't talk on shabbos until after shul!!

chen

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:54 am
so here's a funny thing that happened on an interstate train:

It was early evening. On my way to the restroom I saw at the other end of the car a young woman standing behind the last row of seats, intent on the open book resting on the back of the seat in front of her, twirling the tail of her beige tichel in one hand. Wow, I thought, she's davening shemoneh esrai on the train, imagine that. As I passed her, I looked at the book in her hand--all English. Hmm. Then I looked at her legs: Pants. Then I looked at her head: not a tichel--a long blond ponytail fastened on the side.

I really gotta start wearing my glasses.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions