Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Da Vinchi Code - naked ritual in the bais hamidkash????
Previous  1  2

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:16 pm
sequoia wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:
I loved it!

Sure, it most pure nonsense, but very enjoyable nonsense!

Sequoia - any recommendations for good recent books, then? Or anyone else?

What do you like? Fantasy, detective, chick-lit, classics?

I devour fantasy and science fiction. however I get bored when the sci/fi or fantasy gets too weird to relate to.

meaning witches, wizards, vampires, aliens, mutations, robots are all cool but once things get too technical with how they work I lose interest.

any good recommendations?
even kids b

bigsis144

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:58 pm
ysmommy wrote:
sequoia wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:
I loved it!

Sure, it most pure nonsense, but very enjoyable nonsense!

Sequoia - any recommendations for good recent books, then? Or anyone else?

What do you like? Fantasy, detective, chick-lit, classics?

I devour fantasy and science fiction. however I get bored when the sci/fi or fantasy gets too weird to relate to.

meaning witches, wizards, vampires, aliens, mutations, robots are all cool but once things get too technical with how they work I lose interest.

any good recommendations?
even kids b

If you're okay with occasional language and s-xiness (the male narrator/protagonist often describes s-xy female characters in detail as part of his film-noir-esque personality, and one book takes place on an adult film set (but it's relevant to the plot and mythology!)), I am in LOVE with the Dresden Files. They are fast-paced, hysterically funny, and AWESOME. INSANELY AWESOME.

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 11:04 pm
Fantasy -- Lewis, Tolkien, Pullman, Gaiman, Susanna Clarke, Diana Wynne-Jones

Mystery -- Chesterton, Akunin

Classics -- the list is endless, obviously, but I think George Eliot is not read enough compared with Jane Austen and Dickens. She's the best, imho.

yummymummy

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 12:29 am
To get back to the original question, I believe the author is referencing the "kdaishim" mentioned several times in Melachim (1 Kings 14:24, 1 Kings 15:12, 2 Kings 23:7). Many of the new biblical translations define the term as "temple harlot". (In every example these are viewed as detestable practices).

gamekeeper

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 2:08 am
isnt that scene referring to the 'urim vetumim'? they looked toward eachother when bnei Yisrael was good and away when not. ive heard that it was more than just an embrace... dunno could be wrong. I just reread the book a few months ago- and agree it its trash...

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 2:16 am
sequoia wrote:
Fantasy -- Lewis, Tolkien, Pullman, Gaiman, Susanna Clarke, Diana Wynne-Jones

Mystery -- Chesterton, Akunin

Classics -- the list is endless, obviously, but I think George Eliot is not read enough compared with Jane Austen and Dickens. She's the best, imho.

Tolkien fan here as well, I'm rereading the Lord of the Rings now. Gaiman, oh he is good!!!

Factory Girl

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 3:53 pm
wow
im surprise how many ppl hated the book.
I found it quite engaging, an easy read , a wonderful mystery that really made me not want to put the book down. the movie was g-d awful , but the book was truly great.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room