Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Turkey legs in soup??

crl

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:11 am
Hey all,

My MIL just gave me a package of turkey legs that I honestly do not know what to do with. Can I use them instead of chicken for a soup for Friday night? I'd just add in all of my usual spices and vegetables. Is this totally weird? If so, what else do I do with them?

Thanks in advance! Smile

shoeboxgirly

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:23 am
There was a thread a few months back about turkey neck soup, the principle is the same (imo):
-yes you can make a soup with it, but it will be a bit different and probably be coloured darker, but if you make yummy soup then it will still be yummy.

Other things you can do with it:

Roast it, cholent it, braise it (maybe). You can treat it like chicken for the most part. Turkey is leaner than chicken (so says my FIL), so it might need a bit more seasoning to get the taste out.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:23 am
They make yummy soup.

crl

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:26 am
Thanks for the replies! I just wasn't sure what to do with it, and my husband hates to eat meat off the bone (unless it's steak...he's weird, haha.), and heaven forbid I mess with his "perfect" chulent recipe, so I was just looking for other options. I guess I'm just used to seeing the turkey legs attached to the turkey at Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

grin

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:53 am
turkey is delish in soup, esp. if you let it cook long enough to get nice and soft - the meat will drop right off the bone.

SS6099

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:00 pm
I will agree that turkey is DELICIOUS in soup!!!!!!!!!!!

crl

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:08 pm
So what do I do, make my soup as I usually do? Or should I roast the turkey and make a stock first? All "turkey" soup recipes online call for turkey carcass from Thanksgiving leftovers or turkey wings. Are legs a good substitute?

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:14 pm
Just use it like chicken

grin

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:22 pm
Pineapple wrote:
Just use it like chicken
Yes but leave it simmering much longer

SS6099

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:22 pm
Pineapple wrote:
Just use it like chicken

I second this. It's yum!

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:41 pm
I make the same soup as normal. I also made awesome turkey thighs one shabbos in the crockpot that would also taste good with the legs. I put the turkey in with a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of chickpeas and spices.I cooked it on low all day. It was awesome and I was left with soup for another shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics