Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
What are your best non-Gebrokts cookie and cake recipes?

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 10:17 pm
Chometz-tasting recipes.

TIA

Grandmama

Post Mon, Apr 18 2011, 2:45 pm
6 Egg whites
4 cups ground walnuts
2 cups sugar

Beat whites until stiff, add sugar, by hand add the ground walnuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes.

Can be dipped in melted chocolate if desired.

Sold by one of my local bakeries all year round. Love them.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 18 2011, 4:02 pm
The BasHInda torte posted here
Meringues, posted here
and the Crispy Pesach cookies

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 19 2011, 10:30 am
Chaya's Easy Gooey Chewy Pesach brownies

2 cups oil
4 cups of sugar (I use a tad less)
8 eggs
1 cup potato starch
1 cup cocoa
1 cup walnuts optional
mix

bake in 9x13 pan in medium oven, cook ~75 minutes at 350

Zus

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 12:16 am
ChosidMom's pesach brownie cake came out excellent.
Here is the recipe:

Potato Starch Brownies

6 eggs
1 cup oil/
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups potato starch
3/4 cups cocoa
1 Israeli envelope baking powder (~3 tsp)

Mix and bake. 180C (350 F), 45-50 min.

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 3:37 am
Well I cook without oil or shortening so here goes - they were all great.

1) Blueberry topped pudding cake - separate six eggs, whip whites, and add 1/2 cup sugar SLOWLY as you beat it (after you have already beaten the whites without the sugar into a high peak). Fold in six heaping tablespoons of potato starch and one package (1 1/2 teaspoon) baking powder. If you want you can add three yolks and fold them in, but you don't have to. Bake at 350 for half an hour.

Add water or milk to a package of KLP vanilla instant pudding and spread on cooled cake. Take one package of frozen (still frozen) bodek blueberries and spread on cake. Put in fridge until the next day when the blueberries melt. Delicious.

2) Cocoa chewey meringues - Separate six eggs (it's always 6 eggs with me) beat up whites and then add 1 cup sugar slowly. Add 3 teaping tablespoons of cocoa and beat in and then bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour. Delicious, meringuey and chewey.

3) Separate (yes you have it!) six eggs. Add 3/4 cup sugar and 1 T instant coffee. Beat it all up at once (don't beat the whites without the sugar) Then to some add cocoa to some add raisins and to some add cinnamon. Make into balls and flatten. Bake on greased surface at 350 for a while, maybe 20 minutes or so. Comes out really chewey especially the cocoa ones. We liked the raisin ones best.

Beteavon - Bon Appetitte!

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 12:41 pm
[quote="freidasima"]Well I cook without oil or shortening so here goes - they were all great.

just on pesach or always? why?

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 2:18 pm
Always. I have no gall bladder and can't digest any added fats. Heck I can't even digest fats that come naturally in foods, haven't had an avocado or chumus or techina or butter or oil in years since having it out...oy! No fun. I got very very sick from techina for example after my operation eight years ago and that's when they figured out that I am one of those unlucky ones who after losing a gall bladder can't have any fats. It's only 10% of those operated on that it happens to, my finster mazel it is me.

So I can't have almost any procssed products, as everything has fat, and have to make everything at home. I've learned to bake without fat and cook without it, I cut meat apart to take out the fat and only eat tevaof which is natural chicken without antibiotics and additives which are free range and then I skin them as they have the least fat of any chickens as they are so active. So all these recipies that begin with "take a cup of oil" or "take three tablespoons of butter" either have to be converted into applesauce or they are not on my list...lots of fruits and veggies around here. Bread and fruit jam and chicken and rice and legumes (not pesach of course) and healthy grains. But no fats.

I can however eat the occasional egg yolk, in that I'm very lucky.

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 2:21 pm
FS I had that for years after my gall bladder surgery,b but B"H it did get better. Wink I was a teenager when I had mine out, so I just got sick. I certainly wasn't giving up my favorite foods over it, though it was pretty awful. I learned to eat and run. Wink

It has been almost 18 years since I had mine out, and it isn't much of an issue any more.

I won't suggest giving up healthy eating, but IY"H it will get better for you as well.

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 2:35 pm
Actually Liba there is little chance of that, I've been tested with intestinal and stomach biopsies and no longer have the ability to absorb much of it and at my age (over 50) little chance it will come back. It often comes back for teens and younger women but I'm probably stuck. It got progressively worser for the first years after the operation and I've had other medical issues since so it doesn't look like there is a chance. If you could just "eat and run" you were lucky. I ate and ended up in intensive care for quite a while...which is when they figured out what the issue was. I ate a piece of chicken tonight, dry white meat, and I'm bent over in pain now, which is why I am still up at the computer after midnight as I don't want to wake up dh with my groans and he's long in bed...how much fat was in the chicken? No skin, dry steamed white meat...steamed with water...oh well..it goes along with pancreatic enzyme issues etc. No fun.

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 2:42 pm
this recipe CM mentioned. I made it using 2 cups ground almonds and 1 cup coconut, no vanilla sugar. Everyone loved them. they taste like the coconut macaroons that come in tins (manischewitz?) but without the work of seperating eggs.

Crispy Pesach Cookies

2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla sugar *can leave out
1 cup sugar
3 cups ground nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc. - can combine dif. types)
coconut (optional)

This recipe can be mixed in a bowl by hand and can be frozen.

Beat eggs eggs, salt, vanilla. Add sugar, nuts, coconut. The mixture will be thick. Drop onto a greased pan by small spoonfuls. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden. Let harden before removing from pan.

Makes 4 dozen in 2 cookie sheets.

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 2:43 pm
Sad I am sorry.

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 3:21 pm
Thank you liba Hug
But I'm not complaining. I can eat through my mouth? I don't need a zonda? Boruch Hashem!

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 3:25 pm
Wink My kid with a tube wouldn't complain if we never made him eat with his mouth. LOL He is convinced that life is best that way.

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 20 2011, 3:27 pm
He must be some incredible kid!

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 03 2012, 11:19 am
Any new Chometz tasting recipes for cake or cookies, with oil (no margarine)?

racz

Post Tue, Apr 03 2012, 12:07 pm
Blondies
1 C. potato starch
3/4 C. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 t. baking powder
3/4 C. oil
3/4 C. sugar
2 scoop vinalla sugar
3/4 C. choc chip
9x 13 pan, 40 minutes on 350

This recipe doesn't double well (I make 2 single recipes)

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 03 2012, 12:16 pm
This is a slightly different blondie recipe which is already doubled and came out fantastic:

Chocolate Chip Squares (aka Blondies) -- from Whisk magazine, March 21, 2012

1½ cups oil
6 eggs
1½ cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla sugar
2 cups potato starch
1½ dup ground almonds
1 (10 oz) bag chocolate chips (I like to use mini chips)

Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 9x13 pans with parchment and set aside.

Combine oil, eggs and sugars. Gradually add potato starch and almonds.

Divide batter between the 2 pans. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.

Bake for 55 minutes to an hour. When cooled cut into squares.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics