Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Milk and Egg Allergy

Mom2girls

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:28 am
Hi
I hope some of you can help me out a bit...
My child was just diagnosed with milk and egg allergies
if any of you have recipes or ideas please post!
as well as how you dealt with the one child not allowed most of what other member of family allowed?!?!?(such as regular food - kugel, cake...)
thanks in advance

miri123

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 8:26 pm
hi momo, feel your worry and pain, I have 2 sons w/ milk and egg allergies among other allergies as well.
Challah: I just add more water 4 eggs is about 1 cup.
My neighbor makes cookies for my son and she adapts the recipe she changes eggs for apple j. or OJ they come out delicious.
I have a great chocolate cake w/o eggs that is delicious and the easysest ever, I will look up the recipe for you.
You could also look up online, I think epicurious.com has an allergies feature so u could look up recipes without those ingredients.
My son may have Dr Praegers fish sticks for breakfast or meatballs or chicken.
Hatzlacha u could PM me for more information.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 4:09 am
My son has milk allergy (along with nut, peanut, sesame)...he eats cereal with soy milk for breakfast. If taste is a problem, there are different flavors available or you could try rice milk or almond milk.

How old is your child? Mine was diagnosed at a year, as soon as I started him on dairy. I think it makes it easier for him to accept b/c he's lived with it his whole life, so this is what he's used to. Also, it could be that he’s so accepting of it and never begs for food he’s not allowed to have because there were occasional times when he ate food he was allergic to by mistake and he remembers that the reaction was unpleasant (although, b”H, not life threatening).

It's not a big deal to give a baby (approx. under 2) different food from the rest of the family. Now that my son is a little older, I explained to him that sometimes we have milchigs for supper. I told him that when we have milchigs, I could heat up a pareve frozen schnitzel for him (there are a variety of healthy ones available that he likes), but if he feels bad that he can't eat what everyone else is eating, I'll just always make fleishigs for supper. He said that it's fine if I make milchigs and make him a schnitzel. In other situations, if people will be eating something he is allergic to, I try to make sure he has a good alternative – e.g. pareve ice cream instead of milchig, or another nosh instead of bamba. I also gave him a lollipop to keep in his knapsack in case nosh is given out in gan and he can’t eat it.

I think one of the most important things is to educate the child about his allergies. Teach him to ask whatever adult is in charge if he’s allergic to whatever snack has been distributed. A teacher or friend’s parent could easily forget. It’s important to say “allergic” because if the child just asks if he’s “allowed” to have it, the adult might not realize he’s referring to allergies. (When my son was little, he used to say, “Is this milchig for me?” He would say that bamba was “milchig” for him!) I recently heard of a child who was allergic to eggs and the class was baking and the teacher forgot and this child was given the job of cracking open all the eggs, and of course had a reaction. The first thing I thought was, "If the child is old enough to crack eggs, why didn't she know she is allergic to eggs?!" (To be dan l'kaf zechus, it could be that she didn't know she couldn't TOUCH them.)

Re: egg allergy, how sensitive is your child? Some people who are allergic to eggs can still have baked goods containing eggs if they are baked very well. That could make things a bit easier.

Sorry to go on and on - hope at least some of this was helpful!

Mom2girls

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 5:26 am
thanks for replies, I'd love your recipes please thanks!
my child is 6 and we thought was lactose intolerant for past 6 months so the milchig part we're used to - she knows to alwasy ask if milchig and she doesn't take it ( I also reward when she goes toa party and there's stuff she's not allowed - she gets points for it..) but now with the eggs she ;s really upset... I did go with her shopping to choose some cookies she can have for school and I'm busy the whole day telling her not to trade nash with her friends...
I'd love some cookies/cake recipes and genereal things
thanks!
ps she's not allergic to touching.. but if she eats eggs in any form/shape she gets severe stomache pains

suomynona

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 6:48 am
Here's a delicious and easy choc. cake recipe without eggs:

WACKY COCOA CAKE

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; beat 3 minutes on medium speed of mixer until thoroughly blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost as desired. 12 to 15 servings.

Bored

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 7:32 am
Delicious water challah recipe

1 Tablespoon yeast
¼ cup sugar
1 t salt
¼ cup oil
1 egg or ¼ cup water
1 cup warm water
3- 3 1/2 cups flour

granolamom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 8:53 pm
my dd was mildly allergic to eggs and dairy when she was younger (mild meaning the blood test was positive, symptoms were rash and behavioral stuff).

we basically stopped eating kugels and had more salads, which was really better for everyone.

you can substitute 1/4 water for one egg in some recipes (such as challah).

for baking, I found that in many instances you can use tofu (use silken tofu, whip it a bit in a blender and 1/4 cup = 1 egg)

also you can make egg free mayo from tofu too

miri123

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 9:40 pm
suomynona wrote:
Here's a delicious and easy choc. cake recipe without eggs:

WACKY COCOA CAKE

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; beat 3 minutes on medium speed of mixer until thoroughly blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost as desired. 12 to 15 servings.

Hey I've almost the same recipe or the same (didn't chck yet) from the Moosewood cookbook but I don't use the blender just do it by hand and also I ad coffee, the vinegar is the last thing I ad. It is delicious nobody would think that doesn't have eggs. It's so easy that you dd could make it and she will feel really proud of herself and maybe complain less ?
Many of the regular packaged cookies don't have eggs.
Granola bars are a yummy treat and no eggs.
BTW I frosted with a mixture of peanut butter and honey, it was yum.

withhumor

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 12:07 pm
My friend’s baby was very allergic to eggs, through her breast milk! I remember that during that time she lost over 30 lbs. and live don bread and tortilla chips. She would make herself sandwiches all day. I never knew that rye bread doesn’t have eggs!

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 12:09 pm
My friend just started a blog about milk and egg allergies. Her son was just diagnosed with this about 2 months ago. She has some really helpful information on it.
http://www.noeggsnomilk.blogspot.com/

forever21

Post Tue, Apr 03 2012, 9:24 pm
with humor, I found out abt my babies allergy when I was nursing also. I had to go off dairy and eggs but didnt lose weight from that Sad. During that time I drank almond milk and I loved it! so for those whos kids cant have dairy, try giving them almond milk. my son recently outgrew his milk allergy Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics