Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Gluten free babies/ diapers?

skazm

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 9:47 pm
Hi,

So my husband is celiac and we just started feeding the baby solids - no wheat. Dr. said he can eat anything as long as it's smaller than the tip of his thumb as that is the size of his esophagus - so this kid has been eating like a little prince, which he is - quinoa, chicken, carrot/orange mush, even hummus (6 months old). So far BH all is well, but not touching the wheat.

Sooo first question: do any of you have celiac disease in the family - how did you test your kid - they are telling us wait a year to give him wheat buuuut....

second question - I'm also into the non-chemical diapers - I use mostly cloth and seventh generation but I'd really like to try the Earth's Best - however, those have wheat in them! Does anyone with a celiac baby have any experience with these diapers? Should I stay away?

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 11:59 pm
With regards to testing:
1) Current theory is to wait to give wheat and then slowly introduce and see what happened. We introduced and DD had stomach issues. We removed gluten and DD's stomach issues went away. We decided to revisit the issue of formal diagnosis when she is older but we currently have her on a strict gluten free diet.

2) STAY AWAY FROM EARTH'S BEST DIAPERS! First of all, they have the potential to make your DH sick (and you WANT him to help change diapers!) and second of all, some people with celiac disease have contact Dermatitis Hepitaformis (DH). Nasty rash upon contact with gluten. If your DS has DH, it would be disastrous to have his delicate nether regions exposed to gluten.

skazm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2012, 11:43 pm
thanks very much - my DH had the rash but it went away after he stopped eating gluten - on his chest. thanks, sticking to the seventh generation

skazm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2012, 11:43 pm
we actually ended up giving wheat and the kid is fine BH
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics