Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Which novels should I buy for Pesach?
Previous  1  2

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 2:57 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
NOT gory
NO nudity

Exactly. Not for my hubs.

Arcy

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 3:00 pm
Duel Discovery by zecharia hofmann

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 3:07 pm
Arcy wrote:

That's the one with the story of yetzias mitzrayim, right?

The girl who translated it to English from Hebrew wrote a novel that was just released - called Tip of the Iceberg. F.H. Einhorn.

I don't know if it's good, but she's my friend so I hafta plug her book.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 4:19 pm
emesornt wrote:
Arcy wrote:

That's the one with the story of yetzias mitzrayim, right?

The girl who translated it to English from Hebrew wrote a novel that was just released - called Tip of the Iceberg. F.H. Einhorn.

I don't know if it's good, but she's my friend so I hafta plug her book.

Thanks for the headsup. It was an excellent translation of a beautiful story.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 4:52 pm
sequoia wrote:
TzipG wrote:
sequoia wrote:
The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

I like Sophie Kinsella's other books - light, funny... but I could not get through this one.

I just read two of Khaled Husseini's books about life in Afghanistan - The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Amazing books - some disturbing parts, but very well-written and quite riveting.

Really? On the contrary it was my favorite one.

"Can You Keep a Secret" was kind of gross, and the shopaholic series didn't interest me by definition.

I'm with Sequoia on this one. I stumbled across Undomestic Goddess by accident, LOVED it, and then was totally crushed to find that I didn't like any of her other books I read. I thought I'd found my new favorite author. Not to be Sad Did she write ANYTHING else like Undomestic Goddess? Or did anyone else? I only read one Shopaholic book, it was torture the whole way through, not reading any more of those.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 5:30 pm
Arcy wrote:

I second that

anyone know what is the book 'tip of the iceberg' about?

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 8:04 pm
tsiggelle wrote:
Arcy wrote:

I second that

It's written in memory of the 100 yr anniversary of the Titanic. A jewish story on the Titanic.

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 8:26 am
emesornt wrote:
tsiggelle wrote:
Arcy wrote:

I second that

It's written in memory of the 100 yr anniversary of the Titanic. A jewish story on the Titanic.

thank you

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 9:15 am
seeker wrote:
sequoia wrote:
TzipG wrote:
sequoia wrote:

I like Sophie Kinsella's other books - light, funny... but I could not get through this one.

I just read two of Khaled Husseini's books about life in Afghanistan - The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Amazing books - some disturbing parts, but very well-written and quite riveting.

"Can You Keep a Secret" was kind of gross, and the shopaholic series didn't interest me by definition.

I'm with Sequoia on this one. I stumbled across Undomestic Goddess by accident, LOVED it, and then was totally crushed to find that I didn't like any of her other books I read. I thought I'd found my new favorite author. Not to be Sad Did she write ANYTHING else like Undomestic Goddess? Or did anyone else? I only read one Shopaholic book, it was torture the whole way through, not reading any more of those.

I also liked the undomestic goddess best. 20s girl is not bad though. I did enjoy the shopaholic stories, it might appear superficial chick lit but the writing and humour are both superb. (they all have compeltely over the top ridiculous but hilarious predicaments and endings)

Kfar

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:14 pm
MY DD, a senior in HS, loves these series -- some better, some worse, but I thought Hunger Games was amazing. She and her friends dressed up and got tickets to the premiere -- so fun for them. Want to see it on Sunday.

runninglate

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 5:43 pm
Arcy wrote:
that book is outstanding. I'd love to read some more jewish writing of that caliber. It's rare, unfortunately. Has he written any other books?

Becky Bloomwood

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 5:58 pm
You guys who don't like Shopaholic, you're all dissing me! LOL How can you not love Becky??

I love all of Sophie Kinsella's books. I wish there were more!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 6:17 pm
I haven't read anything lately that I would buy. Why not get books from the library ?

mommydiaries

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 6:43 pm
Becky Bloomwood wrote:
You guys who don't like Shopaholic, you're all dissing me! LOL How can you not love Becky??

I love all of Sophie Kinsella's books. I wish there were more!

Me too! Loved them all!

TzipG

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 2:09 pm
Kfar wrote:
MY DD, a senior in HS, loves these series -- some better, some worse, but I thought Hunger Games was amazing. She and her friends dressed up and got tickets to the premiere -- so fun for them. Want to see it on Sunday.

I just read the trilogy of Hunger Games books b/c I was curious why everyone's making a big deal about the movie - well, they were great!

catonmylap

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 4:44 pm
I just read 2 excellent books by Lori Lansens
the girls and Rush home Road

Phillipa Gregory- The Cousin's War series, I read just one so far.

cs1

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 10:37 pm
I bought "tip of the iceberg" very dissapointed. if the author would have added another 5 chapters, it could have been a great book. I love historic novels and was utterly disappointed by this one. If Anna is brought over, how come one of her family members cant be saved? or maybe her son looks them up and saves them?! I thought she could have done a much better job. A little unrealistic at some points. It skips over many vital parts and it could have been a bit fatter and more interesting. You dont figure out till the end where they stand. Is the couple happy? What does Esther/Estelle do?!

This is AMerica, was a lot more interesting, thought the Union & Strikes part took too much time in the book, and the "happy part" at the end of the book was 1 chapter long...but all in all was interesting reading.

iluvy

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 10:57 pm
sequoia wrote:
TzipG wrote:
sequoia wrote:

If she's so smart, why can't she read a recipe or figure out a washing machine?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room