Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
A birthday gift for a father?

MrsDash

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 7:55 am
My father turned 72 a couple days ago, and I'm not sure what to buy him for his birthday. He lives about 2,500 miles away, which means I'll have to mail him a present (or perhaps send something through the internet) A little bit about him- My father is very much into science, and astronomy. He's also artistic, and has a passion for architecture. He loves home cooked meals, especially homemade challah, but it's pesach so that's not going to happen. I haven't seen him since my brother's wedding, which was over 4 years ago. I'm not sure what he has, and doesn't have. Should I mail birthday cards for now, and tell him that after pesach I'll bake him some challahs? Or is it too belated at that point?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks! Very Happy

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 10:21 am
How about a nice artistic painting for his wall?

Or maybe search amazon for the latest book on stars or something like that?

Even a cute coffee mug with stars on and a picture of you and your kids is a cute thought.

bluebird

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 10:33 am
Does he like magazines? There are architecture magazines with an artistic bent, or science magazines that he might enjoy. You can just let him know that you got him a subscription.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 9:15 am
A painting does sound nice, but he's more into "pride" than decorative items. If I painted something, he would hang it up, but if it's from a store or thrift shop, it'll be stuffed away in storage somewhere. (Too bad I have no artistic ability whatsoever LOL )

He probably owns every astronomy, physics, and architecture related books, and magazine subscription available.

He has a specific "type" of coffee mug, and thermos he uses just about every day for the last 60+ years.

He's not very much into cutesy things.

Also, no flowers, because he's allergic. He doesn't like chocolates. He doesn't have any favorite sports, or teams.

Can he be any harder to shop for? Confused

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 9:25 am
He sounds like the most manly of men!

LOL

Im sorry its so hard. Maybe just a family picture printed on canvas for him to hang up?

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 9:30 am
A canvas sounds like a pretty neat idea. Time to look for a normal family photo. One that doesn't have someone looking away from the camera, blinking or making a goofy face Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics