Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Kiddush Hashem by frum Nobel Prize Winner

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 9:07 am
Quote:
In the world of business, people steal money. In the world of academia, people steal ideas. One of Prof. Aumann's outstanding traits is his scrupulousness to give credit to others, whether teachers, colleagues, or even students. At a press conference held the day the Nobel Prize was announced, Prof. Aumann surprised his audience by declaring that the Prize should have been awarded to someone else: "Lloyd Shapley of U.C.L.A. was worthy, and should have won. I see him as the high priest of game theory."

Prof. Aumann learned the concept of "intellectual property" from the Torah....

Quote:
At a press conference at the Hebrew University given before he left for Stockholm to receive the Nobel Prize, Prof. Aumann sat in front of a large blue banner proclaiming, "THE CENTER FOR RATIONALITY," and told a startlingly irrational story: Every male present at the Awards Ceremony, including his seven-year-old grandson, is required to wear tails and a white bowtie, provided by the Nobel Foundation.

Since the Torah forbids wearing shatnez [a mixture of linen and wool], Prof. Aumann realized that he would have to have these garments checked for shatnez. This required having the Chief Rabbi of Sweden pick up one such outfit and bring it to Israel, where it could be checked with a microscope in one of Jerusalem's many shatnez labs. The examination revealed that the tuxedos were indeed shatnez, and a team of tailors had to remove the linen threads.

for the complete and fascinating article see:

http://www.aish.com/societyWor.....y.asp

p.s. my father-in-law was in the Math Club with him in RJJ Wink

and kol ha'kavod to Aumann for loudly condemning the neglect of the Gush Katif expellees and championing their cause

technic

Post Tue, Jan 31 2006, 9:11 am
amen 2 that....

Motek

Post Sat, Nov 04 2006, 9:58 pm
really nice article (and pics):

http://www.ou.org/pdf/ja/5766/.....e.pdf
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics