Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Friendship question

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 6:13 pm
Im not sure what to do, and would love some practical advice!

My ds has trouble with keeping friends. He is extremely social and makes friends fast but he has trouble actually keeping them. Im not sure why that is, and how to help him. He knows a lot of different boys but it seems he doesnt have lasting friendships. He was friendly and somewhat close with this one boy, but for some reason they are not close anymore, and ds invited this boy to his bday, but this boy did not invite my ds to his bday. Which was weird since they were very friendly.

There is a boy who considers my ds his best friend, and on some level my ds sees this boy as his best friend. But thats only in school, outside of school they never see each other, his mother and I are trying to get them together so they can extend their friendship. Im just concerned that something will go wrong and they will stop being friends at school.

My ds is a sweet, kind, caring and thoughtful kid when he wants to be. I do know his downsides, he is a leader personality and doesnt like following other people. But he hasnt learned how to appropriate his leadership personality in a positive way. Considering he is still a kid and will make mistakes, he can at times be bossy without realizing it. I know this can be a turn off to other children. But I notice that kids with various issues still have friends. And I feel that despite these short comings he should be able to have close friends. We work on he middos and proper behavior consistently, we always present situations where he can learn how to do the right thing and treat people with respect. So we are working on it.

However, it still concerns me because I see a lot of other kids having atleast one close friend, and a bunch of others. I dont know if im not seeing the clear picture, and Im missing something or Im overreacting. But I would appreciate some advice. Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children