Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I'd like to publish a cook book.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 6:48 pm
Do you think it's a good idea? Or do you think there are enough kosher cook books and no one needs them?

I love cooking and making up meals, dishes.... so dh had this idea. But I am not so sure about it....

Has anyone here done that ? If I do it , how do I go about it? How does publishing etc. work?

Also I love pictures so I would attach a picture to every dish. tell me what would YOU like in cook book. What is YOUR dream cook book.

Thanks

manyhats

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 6:51 pm
Fresh food, few ingredients which are readily available, simply cooked

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 6:56 pm
I noticed you put in financed. I don't think you make much money from publishing.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 7:01 pm
amother wrote:
I noticed you put in financed. I don't think you make much money from publishing.

Don't you think so? Dh heard a woman on the radio , who said she published a cook book with 4 ingredients only in each dish and she earned 7 mil from it....

But I also wanted to stay anonymous and the cook book section does not aloow that Smile

STovah

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Don't you think so? Dh heard a woman on the radio , who said she published a cook book with 4 ingredients only in each dish and she earned 7 mil from it....

But I also wanted to stay anonymous and the cook book section does not aloow that Smile

That woman on the radio probably did not publish a kosher cookbook. The kosher cookbook market is very small. I rarely buy kosher cookbooks these days; I prefer to adapt recipes from non-kosher ones.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 9:31 pm
The Kosher cookbook market is very small, and the photography is extremely expensive.

willow

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 8:22 am
I honestly do not understand how there are so many cookbooks and they still make money.

mosma

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 9:23 am
most cookbooks, especially the first editions, are put out for tzedaka through a school. if it's gets big, like susie fishbein or jamie geller, their second book makes more money.
but it's hard to get it out there without a tzedaka backing it for the first one. you may have to self publish, which costs money.
I was looking into it a year ago or so, I was going to put one out for the same reasons, and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

moonstone

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 9:43 am
I haven't bought a cookbook in years- you can find anything you need on the Internet.

morah

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 9:46 am
Also, you need to have a good hook- what are you selling that I can't already get from, say, Kosher by Design? What does your book offer that no one else does?

MamaBear

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:04 am
I feel like at a certain point in the last decade, cooking and entertaining became trendier and cookbooks took off. I think the buzz has died down a bit espcially, as a pp mentioned, the internet is such a popular free source.

OP, it's a fun idea but so much more work than you think. Maybe organize one for a local organization or school but if this is your big break/career change idea, I'd pass.

1Life2Live

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:33 am
you can always publish an e-book. Those seem to be less expensive.

I'd like to see a cookbook geared towards the busy mom- one who doesn't particularly like to cook.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 11:21 am
I have heard that on lulu.com , you can publish a book for free, and they help you with selling it.

I'd like a cookbook with few ingredients that are simple and easy to bake in a baking pan in the oven, without needing a lot of utensils and without needing a lot of preparation.

for example, put a chicken in the pan, cover with spices, bake at x for x minutes. no washing dishes, hardly any prep needed. but specify the exact spices, baking time, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics