Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
I'm in a rut :-(

amother

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 12:40 am
I feel like I'm sliding along day to day, barely prepared. I haven't been feeling well (first trimester...) so that's largely to blame. But in general, it's also that time of year when I start to reflect and I feel like I'm getting nowhere with most of my students. I teach special ed so it's more frustrating than typical, but still, usually I try to have something to show for it and right now I just feel down. All the kids in one group just failed a test and it wasn't because the test was inappropriate for them. It was because one randomly forgets everything he knows, one "wasn't in the mood" and guessed every answer, and one just didn't make it (came pretty close but...) And they haven't gotten certain basic math concepts that we've been working on forever. They're all going to fail the state tests. Another group I just finished a project, it didn't go so great, so now I need to figure out from scratch what to do next and I'm just out of ideas. I have zero energy or momentum right now. Another group also just finished a project, it was a little more gratifying, but again I don't have the next thing lined up yet because I'm just slow these days. I can't seem to stay on top of anything, let alone everything - if I prepare for one class I have nothing for the others. I'm just treading water trying to make it through each day. I spend every period looking at the clock hoping it's over - since the second it starts. Some of the kids are chutzpadik and I just don't have the energy to deal with them anymore. They all have special needs and my job is to figure out how to target each of them and meanwhile I just can't think straight enough to deal with a single one. I just feel like such a failure.

Note: I am not usually such a basket case. I'm just really really moody tonight, plus my work has been suffering as this pregnancy hit me like a ton of bricks (I am the one who's been posting elsewhere on this forum about maybe having HG, maybe needing an ER, etc...) I'm always afraid I'm going to throw up in middle of class. I come home and have zero energy. That wouldn't exactly explain why I feel like I've made almost no progress all year, but it does answer for why I'm down in the dumps tonight and have no idea what to teach tomorrow. And tomorrow I have FIVE periods! Two with the chutzpadik class and every single one has just finished something and needs the next thing prepared! Blah. I used to sometimes prepare in the mornings but lately it's a miracle if I'm even dressed in time to get to work. I've been late almost every day for the last two weeks or so, besides the days that I didn't make it in at all because I was too sick. The time I have to get ready and leave for work has consistently been the worst time of day for my nausea, headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. FML.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 1:32 am
Sounds hard. Have you tried listening to taped music with them, or singing, or drawing? Hope you feel better.

Hugs.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:43 am
They're too old for that stuff. I teach middle school resource room. I have 40 minutes a day to try to keep each group up to 6, 7, 8th grade standards. Sigh. Maybe if I had more communication with the classroom teachers we could get more things going, but they're impossible. One still has not said a word to me after hounding him all year. Another is a fine teacher but she barely sees the kids because the ones in her class are always being pulled for speech, social work, etc. One kid I've been working with all year now and I still have no idea how to reach him - sometimes his lightbulb's on and sometimes there's just nothing. It's so frustrating.

Super Mom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 5:08 pm
I'm so sorry you feel that way. You're NOT a failure. These things just happen sometimes. Are you still feeling down / sick? Only a few more weeks til the end of semester and then I think you deserve some serious pampering!
Hugs!

Aylat

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 6:03 pm
Super Mom wrote:
I'm so sorry you feel that way. You're NOT a failure. These things just happen sometimes. Are you still feeling down / sick? Only a few more weeks til the end of semester and then I think you deserve some serious pampering!
Hugs!

This!

Teaching can be so energising when you feel like you've got through to the kids, or it can be very depressing when you feel like you've failed to reach them.

And it's a lot of work. You sound like you have a lot going on at the moment. As I was just discussing with an older teacher who I respect a lot - you can't do everything. Know your limitations and do your best within them.

(sorry I have no practical ideas, I teach older mainstream kids)

manyhats

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:47 pm
Amother,

Time is on your side. School will soon be over.

Can you call in sick tomorrow?

Use the day to plan lesons.

Would picture books/chapter books be suitable.

Maybe go to the library and get new books and plan lessons around them.

Barnes and Nobles has tons of teacher material and activities.

How about making copies of puzzles, search a words, word scramble.

Bribe the kids so they behave.

Mother's Day projects

You sound like you are having a bad evening. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and you'll come up with some really good ideas.

Bracha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics