Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Online presence -- how much is too much?

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 7:55 pm
For a business with a "frum" clientele and brand presence, such as a summer camp or tzedaka organization, is there such thing as too much online presence?

Will more right-wing customers (or potential customers) ever be turned off by the fact that we have more than a website and email address -- let's say a facebook page with constant updates, a twitter feed, a podcast... or because that's not part of their world, they'd ignore it, or never even find out it exists.

Oy, I guess I owe a few more details 'cuz that's kinda vague.

How many of you would be interested in a video series about frum women in the arts? Or would a video podcast (interviews, behind-the-scenes looks into the making of frum plays and films) be too "controversial"? It's something I would LOVE to produce (as someone who obsessively watches the director's commentaries on every DVD I've ever seen, including the dozen+ hours of "making of" documentaries on the Lord of the Rings trilogy), but I don't want to do something if no one would be interested.

I feel like I'd be in a very tiny overlap section of a Venn diagram -- "People Who Listen to Frum Female Artists" and "People Who Watch Internet Video Series".

Sudy

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 8:06 pm
I dont think there is too much of a good thing.

The people who would object to twitter, facebook, podcasts....wouldn't find it.

I'm as right wing as possible, but would never object to a business that has a big online presence.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 8:14 pm
As I was reading, I was thinking that this might be like the niche example I give people who choose really random concepts - antique marble collecting! My cousin is a singer in South Africa, and she just asked me marketing advice, and I told her the whole world those who follow female singers is pretty small in the frum society - and here you want to appeal to a small percentage of them!

I think you'd have to ask people IRL if they are online but it turns them off when a frum business has a significant online presence. Those people probably aren't on this forum because they don't think it's a good idea to have an online presence.

Would this be a hobby or a for-profit venture?

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 8:33 pm
In my dreams, it would be for-profit Smile

Don't know how, though -- "commercials" from frum advertisers? I don't want to open myself (and the people I might be representing) up to the lack of control you get from going with Google ads, or a video hosting service like blip that places ads on your video and pays per view/click.

As part of creating a "brand", this would certainly show professionalism and passion, more than just a text or photo blog, so even if it's not a huge source of revenue, it may bring recognition and fans in other ways.
Like the lucky guy singers who get to make music videos -- even though you can watch the videos on youtube for free, it's worth the investment to get their name and talent out there.

But if no one's gonna watch it, it won't be worth the time and effort, even though I love movies and music enough to do things that aren't very financially savvy. Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media