Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Mother's Day, argh!

amother

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 1:45 am
I really, really, really NEED to do something very special for my very special mother, and mother's day would be the perfect occasion. But it's coming so close and I haven't thought of anything yet!

I've been going through a really rough pregnancy and she has been covering for me in a major way. She makes us food all the time, hosts us every Shabbos and other random times when we crash, and watches my toddler for hours EVERY DAY. We have been intruding on her life much more than is appropriate, out of sheer desperation, and she's so gracious about it. She has no other children living in or near home at this time, so she could really be living a very relaxing personal life instead of basically running a young family (I.e. doing all my jobs). And this has been going on for over THREE MONTHS so far. Yeah, I told you it's been a REALLY ROUGH pregnancy, believe me I hate to be dependent and absolutely would not be taking advantage like this if it weren't really truly necessary. B"H it's starting to improve but we still need her a lot. And, after all, she's willing. But still. I owe her big time.

We are not rich people but would certainly extend ourselves to show our appreciation. No amount of money could buy the kind of loving care we've received, and even without the love imagine how much it would have cost in babysitting and prepared foods and such if she hadn't been taking care of that!

Anyway the problem is that she's practically ungiftable. The kinds of things she likes are intangible - nachas from the children, blah blah - all very nice but doesn't help when you want to DO something or GIVE something. She does not need any kitchen gadgets or whatnot, in fact she's already struggling with having too much "stuff" and has just tossed a whole lot. We already gave her a digital picture frame loaded with the grandkids. She loved it. She never uses it. Anyway, done that. Framed or album-ed grandkid pics also nice, maybe not enough for this occasion, but same issue - she doesn't use them! She has piles of framed pictures in her closet that she just never got around to hanging! Sigh. Anyway, I can't think of anything!!! When I think of things I would enjoy, I think maybe gift card to a restaurant or spa or something... but I know her, and I know she would just feel silly spending [our] money on herself like that. Also anything of the gift certificate variety has the same problem as the framed photos - she procrastinates. She likes to read, so I thought maybe a GC to a bookstore, but then I remembered she actually won something like $500 worth of books in a chinese auction a couple of years ago and never redeemed it!!! Rolling Eyes (I would have been happy to do it for her!)

I am just so stumped. For now the extent of my plan is just to stay out of her face on Sunday and maybe send her a nice catered brunch package or something. But that's pretty much standard, nothing really special.

Help!

tziviakayla

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 1:54 am
Flowers in a pretty basket? Last year I bought my mom a "Garden Lover's" basket. It came in a cute wood basket with a few different kinds of plants. This year we bought my mom and mil mini pink roses in baskets that fit their personalities (a victorian look container for mil and a basket w/ handles tied with a huge pink bow for my mom)

Maybe make a nice breakfast for her and bring flowers with homemade cards from the kids. This shows you love her and care for her, and are deeply appreciated. You don't have to worry about her not using the gift, since the flowers are right there and look pretty!

amother

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 1:59 am
She's totally not into flowers Rolling Eyes My father used to buy them for HIMSELF lekovod yomtov once in a while cuz she just wasn't interested. The breakfast I'll do but it doesn't feel like enough... My kid is too young to really make a card, she'd be happy to scribble something meaningless but...

tsiggelle

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 4:05 am
when is mothers day?

sequoia

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 4:11 am
Sunday.

tsiggelle

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 4:21 am
thank you

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 6:05 am
My dad used to get my mother and both my grandmothers tickets to a Broadway show... this way there's a set date when it has to be used.

If your mother is into 'nachas', get a roll of art paper (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Pap.....0JH4Y). Then lay each of your kids down on it with their arms outstretched. Trace their arms and hands and cut it out in one long strip. Have the kids decorate it and then give it to your mother... they're hugs Smile Also maybe have a BBQ...

grace413

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 6:29 am
You are very lucky to have such a great mom. Is there anything she would like to do with your dad - go out to dinner, a movie, a play, a museum? You could treat them. How about an IOU for a mother/daughter date to whatever for when you are able to get out again?

Write her a nice letter, tell her how much you appreciate her help, what a wonderful mother and grandmother she is and that you love her dearly. She'll treasure it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics