Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Please give me advice

amother

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 2:03 pm
I work in chinuch and B''H am very satisfied with my teaching and feel that I am successful in giving over information and skills in an interesting and challenging manner.
It is so frustrating for me though that I can't seem to develop real meaningful connections with my students outside of learning text. I am talking about teenagers who turn to all their other teachers for chizzuk, advice and just simply like talking to them.
I know its my fault, I have a very hard time making conversation - like if I pass a studnet in the hallway or in the lunchroom I don't have much to say besides hi, how are you - I just don't make them feel comfortable - all the other teacher seem to be able to get these great conversations going - and they actually have relationships with the girls outside the classroom.

What can't I do that?
Can someone teach me how to make conversation more comfortable?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 2:40 pm
It won't happen just through passing them in the hallway.

Do you talk about ideas, hashkafos, issues relevant to their lives, etc. in class? A lot of those conversations are probably outgrowths of class discussions. And the ones that aren't, are there because kids view that teacher as someone who can understand how to relate what they're learning to their lives.

Textual learning is great, and important, and skills are important. But even more important is that the girls should be able to relate what they're learning to their lives.

Another way? Volunteer your time outside of class to do things with individual girls or small groups. That might mean giving a couple of students extra help after school or during lunchtime, helping out with a production or fundraiser, or even inviting over a few girls to your home for Shabbos. (I had two different teachers do this last one, which is not so common, and it really helped me get to know them and feel like I could talk to them about things.)

HTH!

amother

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 3:02 pm
I do try and talk about topics relevant to their lives in class!

I think im just doing something wrong cuz it never leads to anything more meaninful...
any tips?

imasinger

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 4:35 pm
You might want to talk to the other teachers in your school and ask how they have done it. How big is the school?

I agree with AlwaysGrateful about volunteering.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics