Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Fancy cookies for simcha

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 12:18 am
I'm making some platters for a close friends lchaim. What are some fancy cookies that are not too expensive difficult or time consuming? I'm trying to veer away from the typical peanut chews zebra cookies or chocolate chip...

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 12:45 am
I forgot what they are called, but you make 2 cookies the same shape, just 1 has a hole in the middle. then you put red jelly in the middle & sprinkle w/ powdered sugar

de_goldy

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 1:38 am
Hashemlovesme wrote:
I forgot what they are called, but you make 2 cookies the same shape, just 1 has a hole in the middle. then you put red jelly in the middle & sprinkle w/ powdered sugar

linzer cookies. the trick with them is to put the powdered sugar on the cookie with the hole before assembling the cookies, so that the jam doesn't get covered with the sugar.

with the same dough, you can make the horseshoe cookies and dip the ends in chocolate. also a nice one.

You can also do meringues and pinwheel cookies.

There4you

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 2:15 am
Mini pecan pie cups. I love chocolate crinkle cookies from the short on time cookbook. They taste amazing and are so so easy.

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 9:41 am
anyone have recipes or tell me which cookbooks have them?

I don't have cookie cutters and that sounds a bit labor intensive either way.

What are horse shoe cookies?

Bars would also work.

I am making a few platters, not just one to send as a gift but a few to help out with the refreshments.

Also do I put the pieces in paper muffin holders or did we as a society finally decide it looks tacky?

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 9:44 am
anyone have recipes or tell me which cookbooks have them?

I don't have cookie cutters and that sounds a bit labor intensive either way.

What are horse shoe cookies?

Bars would also work.

I am making a few platters, not just one to send as a gift but a few to help out with the refreshments.

Also do I put the pieces in paper muffin holders or did we as a society finally decide it looks tacky?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 10:52 am
The marble fudge cookies from KBD are nice and easy (BUT you must make them with Crisco shortening for them to come out right).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:09 am
I made snickerdoodles http://www.myrecipes.com/recip.....4643/ with oil instead of butter/margarine, and when they cooled down, I drizzled with a made up icing (powdered sugar, water, maybe some vanilla?) and they came out scrumptious and beautiful.

suzyq

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:27 am
I've found that any bar-type dessert looks fancy by drizzling some chocolate on top (take some chocolate chips and a tiny bit of oil, melt them together, put in a baggie with a corner snipped off, then drizzle away). You can make brownies and use white chocolate, make blondies and use regular chocolate and then mix and match.

You can make simple cookies fancy by taking 2 cookies (any kind really - chocolate chip, chocolate, peanut butter, sugar) and putting some frosting in the middle of them to make them sandwich cookies. Very easy, but looks good. You could also do them in miniature and I feel like they look even fancier.

Good luck!

SS6099

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:36 am
Filbert bars are always a hit- they look beautiful dipped in chocolate and are very easy to make.
Same with snowball cookies (small thumprint cookies) drizzled with chocolate, or even chocolate covered pretzels dipped in colorful sprinkles.

mom2be1

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:46 am
Check out the blog overtime cook she just baked tonz of simple cookies for her sisters vort.

shoemaker

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 10:19 pm
how about mini cup cakes in fancy cup cake papers, rum balls. brick cake.

allrgymama

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 10:58 pm
I make individual pecan pies.

The filling is from a Betty Crocker Cookie Book that came out close to 10 years ago and is really intended for pecan bars. I like it better as pie.

You may need to tent the pies so that the crusts don't burn before the inside cooks (but I find that's more of an issue with the bigger sizes; I don't usually have that issue with the mini shells).

Ingredients
• 4 eggs, slightly beaten (NOT X-LARGE. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE)
• 1 ½ cups sugar
• 1 ½ cups corn syrup (I use light; recipe doesn't specify)
• 3 TBSP margarine, melted
• 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 2 ½ cups chopped pecans
• 2- 9 inch frozen, unbaked, pie shells OR 36 mini tartlet shells (3 inches)
Preparations
• Pre-heat oven to 350.
• Combine eggs, sugar, corn syrup, margarine and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
• Place the frozen pie shells onto a lined baking sheet (to catch any drips).
• Distribute the chopped pecans evenly between the two pie shells. Pour the batter over the nuts.
• Bake at 350 until set, about 30-40 minutes.

Enjoy!

HooRYou

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:56 pm
Take regular sugar cookie dough, separate into equal sized balls. Roll into circles and then cut like a pizza. bake the cookie triangles and then drizzle with chocolate.
You can also do a lot of different effects by layering vanilla cookie dough with chocolate cookie dough.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:29 am
I just made something really easy and pretty. I made the Hershey's chocolate cake in mini muffin pans. I made a glaze. I used the muffins upside down, put same glaze on top (to run down sides) and sprinkled a few mini chocolate chips on top. Looks really pretty. I got the idea from an old post here some place.

Sherri

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:38 am
I think anything in mini is really nice.

sky

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 1:38 pm
I make chewy choco chip biscotti that is really easy and step up from a choc chip cookie and they can be made really pretty.

This recipe:
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....d=991

Bake in a long log. Like biscotti width.
Sprinkle with choc chips for last 1 minute of baking down the middle so that they melt and you can shmear into a stripe.
Sprinkle with chop nuts (or chopped white and caramel chips or any combination).
Freeze to harden the chocolate.
They look so nice laid out down a long rectangular platter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics